Date - Aug 28, 2021
Time - 9:00am-12:00pm
Park | Fort Steilacoom (Lakewood)
8714 87th Ave SW
Lakewood WA 98498
Meet at the tractor near the barns.
Reminder: Volunteers are needed each month to help restore the habitat at Waughop Lake and other areas around the park.
Please join us.
As you walk through the park, you may notice that destructive plants are taking over many areas. Scotch Broom, English Ivy, and Himalayan Blackberry are the main culprits, but other invasive plants are also gaining a foothold. Left unchecked, these plants will steadily crowd out or smother our wonderful native plants. They will destroy the habitat that our local birds, butterflies, bees and other beneficial pollinators, and small woodland animals rely on.
You can change this! Join us to help eradicate these invasive plants and replace them with native plants. We meet monthly on the fourth Saturday of every month, and would welcome your help whenever you are available.
What you need:
• Dress in layers
• Wear sturdy shoes.
• Leather work gloves are helpful.
• Wear a hat
• Bring water
• Wear comfortable clothes that can get dirty.
Why do we volunteer?
• Connect with your community.
• Have fun!
• Learn which native plants are best for a specific site.
• See how to attract birds, butterflies, and pollinators.
• Learn about invasive plants and how to eradicate them.
• Make the park better for future generations. Help make a lasting change!
• Support improved water quality.
• Gain community service hours and enhance your resume. Great for students!
Everyone is welcome! Children must be accompanied by an adult.
Save the Date for 2019 Work Parties!!
• March 23
• April 27 (Parks Appreciation Day)
• May 25
• June 22
• July 27
• August 24
• September 28
• October 26 (Make a Difference Day)
• November 23