Sound Transit announcement.
As early as Wednesday, October 5th, Sound Transit’s contractor will begin grinding and polishing Link railway within the City of Tacoma city limits. This work produces a smoother rail surface that improves safety, reduces noise, vibration, and long-term maintenance costs.
Rail grinding may produce noise and will produce sparks along the future Hilltop Tacoma Link Extension project area. Neighborhoods adjacent to Link guideway may experience rolling traffic slowdowns and/or lane/road closures as the rail grinding machine travels above roadways. A Temporary Noise Variance (TNV) has been issued by the City of Tacoma for this work.
Access is open to hospitals, medical centers and the emergency department during construction.
Please support your local businesses during construction and stay Loyal to the Local!
- Rail grinding along Hilltop Tacoma Link Extension project area.
- The machine moves slowly along the rails at 2 miles per hour and has a sound limit of 77-86 decibels (about the normal sound of traffic up the level of an alarm clock).
- Rail grinding video example on the existing Tacoma Link Line: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/aWuZ1yxb4CQ
Wednesday, October 5th through Mid-October, 2022 9 p.m. – 5 a.m.
- Rail grinding and polishing will occur along the Hilltop Tacoma Link Extension area.
- Nearby residents adjacent to the guideway may hear noise and see sparks from the work. These sparks will be mitigated by the spark guard on the machine.
- There will be no parking signs posted nightly around the area where the grinding will take place. The contractor plans to start on MLK then move onto Division, N 1st Street then Stadium Way.