Sound Transit announcement.
Construction activities are occurring throughout the Hilltop Tacoma Link Extension project area that include crews continuing to finish the roadway restoration, working on station finishes, adjusting utilities, paint striping on the street, systems testing, installing crosswalks in various locations along the Hilltop Tacoma Link project area. The station art can now also be seen at the various stations along the project area. Please allow for extra travel time to get to your destination and follow detour signage. For details of the traffic control impacts please scroll down to the “Where” section.
Access is open to hospitals, medical centers and the emergency department during construction.
Please support your local businesses during construction and stay Loyal to the Local!
- Construction and traffic restrictions along Stadium Way, N. 1st Street, N. 2nd St., Division Avenue, Martin Luther King Jr. Way and the Dome District
- August 3rd Update (Inclement weather or unforeseen issues will push dates and times). Work will occur during the day and nighttime hours.
Along various locations along the project area:
- Daytime and nighttime track testing, electrical testing, light installation and overhead wiring work for the future light rail system will be occurring in various locations along the alignment during the week (Commerce St., Stadium Way, N. 1st, Division Ave., and MLK Jr. Way). During this construction activity the contractor has obtained a nighttime noise variance and will need to temporarily remove parking and shift traffic to maintain a safe working area.
- Station art installations will occur throughout the project area and will require traffic control during the work to safety raise the art onto the station.
- Westbound E. 25th Street between G and K streets closure due to restoration.
- S. 9th Street and Commerce St. intersection closure with local access only on Commerce Street between S. 7th and S. 11th streets started on August 1st and is scheduled to finish on September 16th. The contractor is working on connecting the existing T Line (Tacoma Link Line) to the Hilltop Tacoma Link Extension project. This requires a long-term intersection closure of 9th and Commerce and a nighttime noise variance with 24-7 work hours. Traffic detours will be in place with crosswalk and pedestrian access closures at the intersection of 9th and Commerce St. The construction work includes utility relocation, systems installations, installing track slab, roadway restoration, demolition of the current Theater District Station and pedestrian ramps. During this work the Tacoma Link Line will be closed and there will be a bus shuttle providing transit service in the corridor, similar to what occurred for the T-line closure last summer on Pacific Ave. (more details of the closure here).
- Future Street Closures: Nighttime directional closures on August 15th – 19th on Stadium Way/Commerce St. between Divisions Ave. and S. 7th This work consists of construction crews working on Stadium Way/Commerce to adjust and confirm the overhead electrical fixtures.
Stadium District (N. E St., N 1st St., Division Ave.):
- Eastbound North 1st Street eastbound closure between. Yakima and N. Tacoma avenues is scheduled to be closed and reopened by August 6th. Future nighttime closures and work of N. 1st Street will be needed in the future in both directions.
- N. Tacoma Ave. and N. 1st Street work started on August 1st on the NW corner. The contractor is scheduled to move to the SW corner of the intersection on August 8th. When this work occurs, the crosswalks will need to be closed to restore the sidewalk, ramps and utilities. Vehicle and sidewalk access will be maintained. Parking will need to be removed near work areas. Some of the work will require lane closures to N. Tacoma Ave. and N 1st St.
- Southbound I Street closure at Division Ave. This work will be completed during the weekdays and weekends. This work should be completed by mid/late August.
- Future street closures:
- Division Ave. and MLK Jr. Way full intersection closure is scheduled to start on August 19th to complete the sewer installation.
- N 2nd Street from N Yakima Ave. and I Street full street closure for roadway has been temporarily opened but is scheduled to return August 19th.
- Northbound N. Tacoma Ave NB Closure at N. 1st Street will occur at a future date.
- South and North J Street full closure at Division Avenue will occur at a future date.
Hilltop/MLK Jr. Way:
- Northbound MLK Jr. Way road closure between S. 6th Avenue and S. 9th S. 6th Avenue between MLK Jr. Way and S. J Street is closed to thru traffic. Local access to alley is maintained. This is scheduled to reopen by the of this week.
- S. 8th Street closure from MLK Jr. Way to S. L St. This is scheduled to open by the end of the week.
- Earnest S Brazil Street closure between MLK Jr. Way and S. J Street. Local access to the alleys are maintained.
- Northbound MLK Jr. Way road closure between S. 17th and S. 19th streets
- Future street closures:
- S. 11 Street between MLK Jr. Way and S. L Street closure is scheduled to close for restoration and crosswalk work scheduled to start August 15th (work is dependent on the above work schedules).
- S. 15th Street between MLK Jr. Way and S. J Street closure is scheduled to close for restoration and crosswalk work scheduled to start August 15th (work is dependent on the above work schedules).
- S. 9th Street between MLK Jr. Way and S. J Street closure will occur at a future date