Sound Transit announcement.
Crews will install electrical wires over the tracks on Stadium Way from the traction power substation (between S. 4th St. and Division Ave.) to I-705 this week. To minimize traffic impacts, this work will happen at night from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. This wire work is relatively quiet. Two-way traffic will be maintained on Stadium Way with traffic lanes shifted.
Crews continue building the Tacoma General Station and the curb and gutter work on the east side of MLK Jr. Way from 6th Avenue to S. 3rd St. Access is open to hospitals, medical centers and the emergency department. To access Tacoma General and the Emergency Department, follow MLK Jr. Way north from 6th Avenue or south from Division Ave. To access Kaiser Permanente, follow S. J St. to S. 3rd St. Please allow a little extra time to reach your appointment – thank you. MLK Jr. Way is closed northbound to thru-traffic from 6th Ave. to S. 3rd St. The travelling public should follow the detour on S. J St.
Crews continue installing curb and gutter on the west side of MLK Jr. Way from S. 13th St. to S. 16th St. and on the north side of Division Avenue from MLK Jr. Way to Yakima Ave. S. 8th St. will close to eastbound traffic from S. L St. to MLK Jr. Way to pour concrete for the traction power substation’s stairs on Jan. 14. In addition, crews are installing signals in the Division Ave and Yakima Ave. intersection this week. Two-way traffic on MLK Jr. Way and Division Ave is maintained in these areas. Crews continue to install fiber optic wires underground along the route. This work happens at night. Depending on the area, a traffic lane may close near this work at night.
Looking ahead, crews will install fiber optic wires along the existing Tacoma Link route and will install overhead wires on N. 1st St. and Stadium Way starting the night of January 17.
Construction and traffic restrictions at Commerce Street, Division Avenue, Martin Luther King Jr. Way, S. 8th Street and E. 25th Street.
Week of January 10
- Division Avenue from MLK Jr. Way to Yakima Ave – traffic restrictions.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way from 6th Avenue to S. 3rd St. – northbound lane closure to thru-traffic. Access open to Emergency Department, hopsitals and medical facilities.
- S. 8th Street from S. L St. to Martin Luther King Jr. Way – eastbound closure on Jan 14.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way from S. 16th St. to S. 13th St. – traffic restrictions.
- E. 25th Street from E. G St. to E. J St. – westbound lane closure.
- Driveway and pedestrian access is maintained, although some sidewalks and crosswalks will be temporarily closed. Pedestrian detours will be in place.
- Buses will follow detour routes. Visit PierceTransit.org for information.
- Construction noise related to removing pavement and operating equipment.
- Large construction equipment or materials may be in the right-of-way.
- Work will generally take place during the daytime hours unless otherwise noted. Daytime hours during the week are 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. The contractor usually works less hours.
- Businesses are open during construction.
- Plan ahead and allow extra time to reach your destination.
- Due to inclement weather or unforeseen issues, dates and times are subject to change.