To honor the creative efforts teachers have made to maneuver their ever-shifting learning environments and keep students engaged this past year, SONIC® Drive-In donated $1.5 million to teacher requests on national education nonprofit site DonorsChoose on Teacher Appreciation Day, May 4. As part of SONIC’s ongoing Limeades for Learning initiative, the $1.5 million donation helped fund more than 7,000 teacher requests across the country in need of critical resources.
“Teachers took this past year head-on, engineering a variety of innovative methods to keep their students learning in both in-person and virtual classrooms,” said Lori Abou Habib, chief marketing officer for SONIC. “We express our gratitude to teachers like these, who create inspirational learning environments for students during a challenging time. With SONIC’s $1.5 million donation match, we were able to help teachers access much-need supplies to successfully complete this school year.”
On Teacher Appreciation Day, the brand matched 50 percent of each donation made to all teacher requests on DonorsChoose.
In Tacoma, Washington, five teachers from five schools received a combined donation of $372.00 including:
- Mrs. Baughman at Jason Lee Middle School for the project Wikki Stix for Fostering Creativity
- Mrs. Sorgenfrei at Lister Elementary School for the project Texts That Rep Are Lit!
- Ms. Schiltz at Lister Elementary School for the project Texts That Represent My Amazing Students!
- Mrs. Harris at Thompson Elementary School for the project Wobble! Wiggle! Learn!
- Ms. Draper at Whitman Elementary School for the project Consumable Student Supplies
SONIC is committed to helping teachers now in this time of need, and all year long. Through Limeades for Learning, SONIC has donated more than $19 million to public school teachers, helping more than 36,000 teachers and impacting nearly 7.4 million students in public schools nationwide since 2009. Visit LimeadesforLearning.com to learn about future funding opportunities and explore public school teacher requests in your community in need of support.