On May 16, Sound Transit, in partnership with WSDOT and Amtrak, will run trains on the Point Defiance Bypass for systems testing. Trains will run from Tacoma Dome station to the Nisqually Junction. Testing will take place from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. with trains running at speeds up to 79 mph. Travelers may experience traffic delays at railroad signal crossings and the public is asked to use extreme caution near the railroad right-of-way.
Potential traffic delays at railroad crossings.
Sunday, May 16, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Potential traffic delays could occur at the following at-grade signal crossings:
- South 66th Street
- South 74th Street
- Steilacoom Boulevard Southwest
- 100th Street Southwest
- 108th Street Southwest
- Bridgeport Way Southwest
- Clover Creek Drive Southwest
- 41st Division Drive
- DuPont – Steilacoom Road
- The next step in this process will be Amtrak crew qualification training that will occur over a two to three month period this spring and summer.
- These tests and trainings are in advance of the eventual resumption of Amtrak Cascades service to the Point Defiance Bypass later this year.
- For more information about train safety, visit the Washington State Department of Transportation.