- Council Meeting – January 7, 2020, at 6:30 PM at Town Hall.
- Planning Commission – December 9, 2019 at 6:30 PM at Town Hall.
- Civil Service Commission – January 2, 2020 at 2:00 PM at the Community Center.
- Preservation and Review Board – January 22, 2019 at 6:30 PM at Town Hall.
Council Future Agenda “Look-Ahead” Issues:
Copies of the Agenda and staff reports are available at all Town facilities once published. The Agenda and
Council meeting minutes are posted to the Town’s official website once approved.
Community Center Volunteers Needed!
The Town is looking for volunteer assistance at the Community Center in the following areas:
- Front desk volunteers for the Thursday afternoon shift, which runs 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. Proficiency with electronics is not required, but someone willing to learn is preferable, as we are now taking payments with an electronic tablet.
- Someone to set up five tables on Tuesday mornings between 8 a.m. – 9 a.m.
- A Chair Exercise leader on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 11:15-11:30. Kristal has a list of suggested exercises and resources.
If interested, please contact Kristal Gibelyou at 253-581-1076 to discuss the possibility of volunteering at the Community Center.
Helping the Homeless:
The Steilacoom Youth Program in partnership with the Tacoma’s Nativity House is sponsoring a Homeless Need Drive. The homeless in Tacoma can use your help! Please donate at the Steilacoom Community Center or Cherrydale Primary School by Dec. 23, 2019.
- Adult Underwear
- Sleeping Bags
- Durable Coffee Mugs
- Cold Weather Clothes and Coats
- (No Food)
Email email@example.com if you need pick up of large items or if you have any additional questions.
Steilacoom High School Football Team:
The Steilacoom High School football team will be playing for the state championship on Saturday, December 7th at 4 PM at Sparks Stadium in Puyallup. A “send-off” has been organized for supporters to line Sentinel Way as the team bus leaves for the game at approximately 1:15 PM. Come and join in showing our community support of the team.
If you observe suspicious activity, please contact Public Safety – non-emergency number – (253) 798-4721 as soon as possible. To anonymously report suspicious activity please email the Department at firstname.lastname@example.org
During November 2019, Public Safety responded to 402 incidents, 120 of those were traffic related.
- Officers responded to a welfare check of an individual involving mental illness. That individual was transported to mental health services, from which the individual quickly fled. Later that day the individual returned to town and committed residential burglary, for which the individual was arrested.
- Officers responded for 2 separate reports of missing children. Both children were located, 1 search briefly involved Pierce County Search and Rescue
- Officers responded for 5 reports of vehicle prowl. At least 1 vehicle had been left unlocked. Another incident was recorded on beach surveillance cameras, which directly resulted in new leads in the case.
- Officers assisted an outside agency in response to a drive-by shooting. The suspect was arrested the next day for suspicion of attempted murder.
- Officers assisted multiple outside agencies in response to a reckless driver fleeing from police, who had crashed and fled into woods nearby. While a search dog was already deployed in the area, officers deployed a thermal imager and, within 5 minutes, the suspect was located and arrested, resulting in no injury to officers or the suspect.
- Officers assisted an outside agency in response to an in-progress burglary involving loaded firearms. No injuries were reported.
- Officers responded to 2 motor vehicle collisions, neither of which were due to icy roadways, thanks to the advance preparation by Public Works.
- Officers performed a traffic emphasis along Union Avenue over the holiday week. 16 stops and 6 infraction were recorded.
- Officers will be assisting in a pre-game send-off for the Steilacoom Sentinels football team on Saturday, December 7, around 1 pm. A minor and brief traffic disruption is expected around the intersection of Steilacoom Blvd and Farwest Dr SW around that time.
- Mayor Lucas visited the recruits at the police academy. Everyone appeared well.
Streets and Storm:
The crew focused on installing a road barricade at the top of Worthington Street near Sunset Crossing; blew sidewalks and swept streets; and performed other maintenance activities.
The crew decorated the Christmas tree and Town buildings; continued infrared testing of transformers, vaults, and wires throughout Town which disclosed a malfunctioning transformer in the Madrona Park neighborhood which will be repaired next week; replaced a power service in the 100 block of Montgomery Street; repaired street lights; and performed other system maintenance.
The crew flushed sewer mains; finished repairs of water service leaks on Cincinnati near Rigney Road and Short Street near Sequalish Street; coordinated sewer service repairs in the 2300 block of Oak Street; performed monthly maintenance on lift stations; and performed other water and sewer systems’ maintenance.
Parks, Buildings and Grounds:
The crew assisted by the Cedar Creek Work Crew decorated buildings for Christmas; cleaned the roof at the Community Center; removed leaves and other debris from parks and town facilities throughout Town; continued winterizing sprinkler systems; and performed other buildings and grounds maintenance activities.
Friends of the Steilacoom Library Speaker Series:
The Friends of the Steilacoom Library and the Steilacoom Historical Museum along with Humanities Washington, are partnering to bring back the historical speaker series. All events are at 3 PM at the Museum.
December 13: David Buerge, Who Was Chief Seattle?
Holiday at Town Hall and Christmas Tree Lighting:
Holiday at Town Hall and the Christmas tree lighting is scheduled for Friday, December 6th at 6:30 PM.
Red Ribbon Bazaar:
The Red Ribbon Bazaar’s 22nd annual event is Saturday, December 7, 2019 from 9 A.M to 4 P.M. at Steilacoom High School, 54 Sentinel Drive, Steilacoom, Washington 98388. email@example.com.
Holiday Sing and Play Along:
On Sunday, December 8, the annual Holiday Sing and Play Along is scheduled from 6 PM to 8 PM at Town Hall. All are welcome to this festive and fun event. Donations of nonperishable items for the Steilacoom Food Bank will be collected.
Jingle Bell Rock Run 5K:
On Sunday, December 8, JustTri will be holding their Jingle Bell Rock Run. The event will start at 9 AM from Pioneer Park. Additional information may be found at RunLakewood.com. Please watch out for runners throughout downtown and the westside.
Santa Around Town:
Santa along with his band of merry elves and reindeer will be proceeding through Town on Friday the 20th between 5 PM and 7:30 PM with a stop at Saltar’s Point School at approximately 7:30 PM. Toys will only be distributed at Saltar’s Point School this year.Print This Post