Looking to donate those eyeglasses you’ve had laying around the house for a long time? Look no further than the Lakewood First Lions Club, which has been collecting and recycling used eyeglasses since 1954.
The used eyeglasses collected by the club (more than 8,000 in 2018) are processed and packaged by the Northwest Lions Eyeglass Recycling Center in Lacey, which either includes them in their own humanitarian efforts or distributes them to other humanitarian groups traveling to developing countries.
These groups made up of eye doctors and volunteers, include the Lions Sight First Program, Volunteer Optometric Services for Humanity, World Vision, Eye Health NW, optometry college groups, military civil assistance groups and numerous church groups.
To help the Lakewood First Lions Club, start by recycling your used eyeglasses, sunglasses and reading glasses. Second, spread the word by telling others about eyeglass recycling and encourage them to participate.
Lakewood area drop-off locations
- Lakewood Water District, 19000 Gravelly Lake Drive SW
- St. Clare Hospital (foyer main entrance)
- Madigan Army Hospital (Ophthalmology Clinic)
- McChord AFB (62nd Medical Eye Clinic)
- Walmart Vision Center, 7001 Bridgeport Way SW
- Ardesson’s Shoe Repair, 9635 Gravelly Lake Dr. SW
- Little Church on the Prairie, 6310 Motor Dr. SW
- Homestreet Bank, 10802 Gravelly Lake Drive St.
- South Sound Eye Care, 8520 Steilacoom Blvd. SW
- VA Hospital Eye Clinic, 9600 Veterans Dr.
- VA Hospital Exchange on Veterans Drive
- Dr. Benson, Eye Physicians of Lakewood, 5920 100th St SW #8, Lakewood
- Heritage Bank, 10318 Gravelly Lake Dr. SW.
Questions? Call Lion Club Past President Eric Warn at 253-222-3742.Print This Post