Crews will begin sewer work along Division Avenue from Yakima Avenue to I Street, and will start underground work in front of Tacoma General Hospital along Martin Luther King Jr. Way. The contractor will install stormwater pipes on Stadium Way north of I-705. The sewer work continues on Commerce St., and crews continue to create overhead contact foundations in places along Martin Luther King Jr. Way.
Construction and traffic closures on Division Avenue, Martin Luther King Jr. Way, Stadium Way, and Commerce Street.
Week of March 4
- Division Avenue from Yakima Ave to I Street – southbound lane closure. The southbound lane on Division is closed in between Yakima Ave and I St. Two-way traffic is maintained. Crews are working on a sewer line.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way near 3rd St – lane restriction. The lane near Tacoma General Hospital will be closed for underground utility work. Two-way traffic will be maintained on MLK Jr Way.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way in between 11th St and 15th St – lane restrictions.Crews are creating foundations for the overhead contact system, including doing potholing on the east side of Martin Luther King Jr. Way, starting at 11th St. and going south to 15th St. Two-way traffic will be maintained.
- Commerce Street: 7th St. to I-705 on-ramp – lane restrictions. Commerce St. in between 7th St. and the Theater District Station will be closed in both directions to thru traffic. To access the 705/Stadium Way onramp, follow S. 9th to Pacific Ave. to 7th St. to Commerce St. Access to Commerce St. from the 705/Stadium Way exit continues to be closed. Detours are in place. The contractor is installing a new sewer.
- Stadium Way: southbound lane closure; use detours
Southbound on Stadium Way continues to be closed to traffic from Broadway to South 4th St. Please follow the detours on St. Helens Ave., Broadway and Tacoma Ave. One-way traffic going north on Stadium Way is open. The contractor is working on both water and storm drainage systems. Crews will install stormwater pipe on Stadium Way just north of I-705.
- Driveway and pedestrian access is maintained, although some sidewalks and crosswalks will be temporarily closed. Pedestrian detours will be in place.
- Construction noise related to replacing the underground utilities.
- Large construction equipment or materials may be in the right-of-way.
- Work will generally take place during the daytime hours.
- Businesses are open during construction.
- Plan ahead, leave early and allow extra time to reach your destination.
- Due to inclement weather or unforeseen issues, dates and times are subject to change.