Charles Ames has announced his candidacy for Lakewood City Council for ONE term.
Who is Charles Ames?
- Commandant of the local Marine Corps League before I earned my 5-year pin
- 2-term Chair of the City of Lakewood’s Public Safety Advisory Committee
- Single dad and was a member of Harrison Prep’s PTO for 6 years and President.
- President of Pacific/Springbrook Neighborhood Assoc.
- Washington National Guard State Historical Society former Board member
- Lifetime member of the local Veterans of Foreign Wars
- Lakewood Arts Task Force and first contributor
- Improv coach for 20 years, founded ‘the Tokens’.
- Currently earning Associate’s degree at Pierce College in Communication, recently made the President’s List with Phi Theta Kappa honors, transferring to University of Washington, Tacoma.
I have attended every Lakewood Citizen Advisory Board and Neighborhood Association meeting at some point.
5th-Generation Washingtonian and spent half my life in Pierce Co.; most of that in Lakewood.
I have only ever been employed by small businesses and military.
One theme recurs consistently in my history; service to community. Often that involves sacrifice. I fought for Lakewood residents when no one else would. The only one to question Lakewood’s mass layoff of 20 Lakewood employees.
I have had the Council tell me to back off from taking on many safety questions affecting Lakewood; it is on public record. I have had one councilmember tell me not to look into municipal water safety, a problem that arose a year later. This same councilmember assured me a year-and-a-half ago that slow-speed tests had been done on the high-speed rail running through Lakewood. They had not.
This is the first campaign that is not soliciting donations. Interested supporters can go to “choose Chas” on Facebook and print their own election material and volunteer to door knock, gather signatures, schedule events, et cetera.
Do you want to change politics, starting locally?
Here’s how we do it… ‘One Term, Your Turn’.
(next time; Charles’ platform and your ideas.)