Our overnight crews were able to continue to work our primary routes and hills, keeping them plowed as the snow continued to fall.
Due to the heavy snow our crews did not lay any salt or brine. Due to a statewide salt shortage, we are using our salt supply conservatively because we know there is a chance we could see additional nights with freezing temperatures which could turn wet roads to ice.
More snow is forecast for today, but current weather models show it will switch to rain.
One of our large plows is out of commission due to the heavy workload over the last three days. It will be worked on in our shop today and we hope to have it back up and running for our evening crew.
Our day shift crew started the day by keeping the commuter routes clear. Despite all the hard work of our crews, roads are still slippery and in many locations are a combination of snow and ice. Drivers are reminded to drive slow, give yourself extra time to get to your destination and increase your following distance.
Lakewood City Hall is open with limited staff.
From Lakewood Municipal Court:
Court hearings will not be held today. Traffic matters from this morning will be rescheduled. Court is anticipated to run on a normal schedule Tuesday (Feb. 12, 2019).
Update from LeMay Pierce County Refuse:
LeMay Pierce County Refuse will not be running today Monday, February 11, 2019 due to the inclement weather. We will be notifying our customers via emails and phone calls. Our website and phone messages will reflect this change in the schedule. We are planning to run our holiday schedule, which is to work one day delayed. This is subject to change based on the future weather report.
Please view the LeMay Pierce County Refuse website for updates on pickup schedules.
Latest information from the National Weather Service:
- Snow will turn to rain or a mix of rain and snow in the lowlands Seattle southward today with 1-4 inches of snow before precipitation changes.
- Likely all snow north and mountains with heavy accumulations.
- Northernmost edge of rain/snow mix line is likely to be the Snohomish King Line.
- Winter Weather Advisory today for the lowlands/Seattle area southward and on the coast.
- Winter Storm Warning later today through tonight for east Puget Sound lowlands, mountains, and King-Snohomish County line northward except for W Whatcom County.
- For up-to-date weather reports go to www.wrh.noaa.gov/sew/.