January 24, 2019 *Please note the change*: US Congressman Denny Heck’s attendance is canceled because he is obligated to stay in Washington, DC, because of the partial government shutdown. The Congressman’s staff has graciously offered to send Phil Gardner, Congressman Denny Heck’s District Director, who will speak to us about the following:
- The work of the House Intelligence Committee and the Congressman’s focus on the Committee; and,
- The partial government shutdown
The Lakewood United group meets at 7 AM every Thursday at Burs Restaurant, 6151 Steilacoom Boulevard SW near Bridgeport Way SW, Lakewood, WA 98499. The upcoming Lakewood United topics are as follows:
- January 31, 2019 “Dance Theatre Northwest” – Melanie Kirk-Stauffer, Artistic Director (Karen – MC)
- February 7, 2019 “Doolittle Tokyo Raid” – “Historical” Phil Raschke (? – MC)
- February 14, 2019 “WSDOT is rebuilding the interchanges at Thorne Lane and Berkeley Street, and adding general purpose and auxiliary lanes to I-5” – Cara Mitchell, WSDOT Olympic Region Communications (Kris – MC)
The dues for our fiscal year, which started on July 1, 2018, are $25 per year. Lakewood United operates with a volunteer board. Expenses are for a small gift for each presenter (for example, a pen/stylus set with Lakewood United motto plus a certificate of appreciation) and for administrative supplies. You can pay your dues by mail to Lakewood United, P.O. Box 99785, Lakewood, WA 98496 or directly to Sue Boguszewski if she is present at the weekly Thursday morning events.
Lakewood United is now on Facebook: www.facebook.com/LakewoodUnitedofLakewoodWashington. Our website: www.thesubtimes.com/serviceclubs/lakewood-united/.
The next Lakewood United Board Meeting is Friday, February 8, 2019 (2nd Friday) at 12:00 noon, 11:30 AM if you wish to order lunch, at Carrs Restaurant, 11006 Bridgeport Way SW, Lakewood, WA 98499. Visitors are encouraged.