JOINT BASE LEWIS-McCHORD, Wash. – Participants in the 2016 JBLM Airshow and Warrior Expo begin arriving Wednesday with the scheduled arrival of the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds advance pilot/narrator. Maj. Scott Petz, Thunderbird #8, will arrive at JBLM McChord Field 1 p.m. Wednesday, and land after completing a short survey flight of the airshow demonstration site.
Thursday, August 25
Noon – Thunderbird support arrival: Preparation activities for the weekend airshow increase Thursday at noon when a 62nd Airlift Wing C-17, Globemaster III, returns to JBLM after picking up the Thunderbirds support officers and enlisted members from Nellis Air Force Base, Nev. Among those members arriving aboard the C-17 is Seattle native Staff Sgt. Sean MacGibbon. He is a tactical aircraft maintainer, currently assigned to the Thunderbirds #5 aircraft. McGibbon has been in the Air Force since 2007.
Noon – Golden Knights arrival: The U.S. Army Parachute Demonstration Team – Golden Knights, also scheduled to arrive at noon, will be landing in their C-31A Friendship. Former Fort Lewis soldier, and Vancouver, Wash. native Sgt. 1st Class Brian Karst. He enlisted into the Army more than ten years ago and has been with the Golden Knights since 2011. He has logged more than 1,900 free fall parachute jumps.
1 p.m. – Thunderbirds arrival: The skies over McChord field will get crowded at 1 p.m. as Thunderbirds number 1-7 arrive in their red, white, and blue F-16 Fighting Falcons. Prior to landing they will conduct an aerial survey of the airshow demonstration site.
Additional airshow performers and static display aircraft will arrive throughout the day Thursday and Friday.
Friday, August 26
2 p.m. – Thunderbirds rehearsal: The Thunderbirds are scheduled to conduct a rehearsal demonstration Friday at 2 p.m. Prior to the Thunderbirds rehearsal, and other acts’ rehearsals, 112th Street South between South Tacoma Way and Steele Street will be closed to traffic beginning at 11:30 a.m. and remain closed until 6:30 p.m.
Saturday, August 27 and Sunday August 28
Gates to the JBLM Airshow and Warrior Expo will open at 9 a.m. Saturday and Sunday with flying scheduled to begin at 11 a.m. 112th Street South between South Tacoma Way and Steele Street will be closed due to airshow activity beginning at 10:30 a.m. and remain closed until 3:30 p.m. both days.
JBLM law enforcement, local law enforcement, and Washington Department of Transportation will monitor traffic conditions and post traffic updates on electronic reader boards and social media. Follow updates at:
- 2016 JBLM Airshow and Warrior Expo website: jblmawe.com
- 2016 JBLM Airshow and Warrior Expo Facebook: facebook.com/jblmawe
- 2016 JBLM Airshow and Warrior Expo twitter: www.twitter.com/jblmawe
Parking and transportation options:
1) Pierce Transit – the preferred method. Park at the Lakewood Sounder Station, 11424 Pacific Hwy SW, Lakewood; the Lakewood Towne Center, behind Target and Barnes and Noble; or the Tacoma Dome Transit Station (by Freighthouse Square) and ride a Pierce Transit bus to the airshow. For more information and schedules visit www.piercetransit.org/jblm-air-show-express.
2) General public, Non-DOD ID Cardholders. Enter JBLM via I-5 exit 125 and proceed to the McChord Field gate.
3) DOD ID Cardholders. Enter JBLM Lewis Main via I-5 exits 119 through 123, or the Lewis Main east gate. Park at Madigan Army Medical Center or the Logistics Center and ride free shuttles to the airshow.Print This Post