TACOMA, Wash. – Sure, the calendar says it’s summer. But animals and kids alike can enjoy a refreshing break from the heat during Arctic Blast on Saturday, August 20.
Throughout the day, animals will cool off with food treats and shaved ice piles, while visitors can chill out with ice cream treats that are for sale in the café and at other locations around the zoo.
Here’s the schedule for animal enrichments, which will range from flavored ice blocks to “popsicles” to piles of shaved ice.
- 10 am – Muskoxen (Arctic Tundra)
- 10:30 am – Arctic foxes (Arctic Tundra)
- 11:00 am – Clouded leopards (Asian Forest Sanctuary)
- 11:30 am – Polar bears (Arctic Tundra)
- 12:20 pm – Sea birds (Rocky Shores)
- 12:30 pm – Sumatran tigers (Asian Forest Sanctuary)
- 1 pm – Asian elephants (Asian Forest Sanctuary)
- 2 pm – Red wolves (Red Wolf Woods)
All activities are free with zoo admission. Zoo hours are 9:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.
When school is about to start and the season of warmth is winding down, Arctic Blast is a great way to have one last gasp of summer.
Visitors can skip the lines by purchasing tickets ahead of time online at www.pdza.org.