Looking to donate those eyeglasses you’ve had laying around the house for a long time? Look no further than the Lakewood First Lions Club, which has been collecting and recycling used eyeglasses since 1954.
The used eyeglasses collected by the club (more than 6,000 in 2014) are processed and packaged by the Northwest Lions Eyeglass Recycling Center in Lacey, which either includes them in their own humanitarian efforts or distributes them to other humanitarian groups traveling to developing countries.
These groups made up of eye doctors and volunteers, include the Lions Sight First Program, Volunteer Optometric Services for Humanity, World Vision, Eye Health NW, optometry college groups, military civil assistance groups and numerous church groups.
To help the Lakewood First Lions Club, start by recycling your used eyeglasses, sunglasses and reading glasses. Second, spread the word by telling others about eyeglass recycling and encourage them to participate.
Listed below are Lakewood locations that will accept your eyeglasses:
- Lakewood Water District, 19000 Gravelly Lake Drive SW;
- US Post Office, 5409 100 St. SW;
- Madigan Army Hospital (Ophthalmology Clinic);
- McChord AFB (62nd Medical Eye Clinic);
- Walmart Vision Center, 7001 Bridgeport Way SW;
- Ardesson’s Shoe Repair, 9635 Gravelly Lake Dr. SW;
- Little Church on the Prairie, 6310 Motor Dr SW;
- Christ Lutheran Church, 8211 112th St SW;
- Lakewood Methodist Church; 6900 Steilacoom Blvd. SW;
- Homestreet Bank, 10802 Gravelly Lake Drive SW;
- Rainier Family Eye Care, 8520 Steilacoom Blvd. SW;
- VA Hospital Eye Clinic, 9600 Veterans Dr.;
- Eye Physicians of Lakewood, 5920 100th St. SW #8;
- VA Hospital Exchange, Veterans Blvd.
Questions? Call Lion Club Past President Eric Warn at 253-222-3742.