The full southbound I-5 lane closure will occur early morning Saturday, July 9, between 12:01 a.m. and 4 a.m. Residence along the detour route, please be advised that there may be additional traffic during this time.
Drivers can expect a full nighttime lane closure on southbound I-5 between Mounts Road overpass and the rail bridge in order to complete the demolition of the existing concrete rail structure. The rail bridge is being rehabilitated as part of the Point Defiance Bypass project, which reroutes Amtrak Cascades passenger trains to an inland rail line through DuPont, Lakewood and Tacoma.
Drivers heading southbound on I-5 from Center Drive:
- Take exit 116 from southbound I-5
- Turn left onto Nisqually Road Southwest and follow detour signage
- Continue onto Old Pacific Highway Southeast
- Turn right onto 7th Avenue Southeast
- Turn right onto Nisqually Cut-off Road Southeast and continue to follow detour signs until you take exit 114 and merge onto southbound I-5.
WSDOT has contracted with Sound Transit to complete this track and signal work that includes crossings upgrades, bridge rehabilitation and retaining wall construction.
The Point Defiance Bypass Project includes a new Amtrak passenger train station in Tacoma’s Freighthouse Square, new and upgraded track between Tacoma and DuPont and five reconstructed at-grade crossings, each with advanced warning and signal systems. When all work is complete in 2017 it will provide more frequent, reliable and faster Amtrak Cascades passenger rail service in Washington.Print This Post