The 2016 Banquet of Champions promises to be one of the biggest celebrations of sports in the South Sound in recent years.
Seattle Seahawks wide receiver Doug Baldwin will deliver the keynote address June 23 at the Tacoma Dome. The Banquet of Champions will induct 37 new individual and one team into the Tacoma-Pierce County Sports Hall of Fame. Also being recognized are the Tacoma Athletic Commission annual award winners for amateur athlete of the year, among other honorees.
This class of the Tacoma-Pierce County Hall of Fame includes three former Olympians, four former NFL players and one NFL referee among other distinguished athletes and coaches.
2016 Hall of Famers inductees:
- Jim Baurichter, swim coach
- KC Boutiette, speed skating
- Sarah (Burns) Hannula, track and field
- Kim (Butler) West, basketball
- Bob Christofferson, baseball
- Kirk Dornan, football referee
- Walt Gogan, volleyball referee
- Bob Hanson, bowling
- John “Jeff” Harbottle III, golf course design
- Dan Hensley, wrestling
- Damon Huard, football
- Steve Finnigan, tennis
- Joe Keller, baseball
- Bruce Kellman, photographer
- Dick Keniston, track and field
- Calvin Kennon, track and field
- Jan Kirk, volleyball coach
- Jon Kitna, football
- Ken Laase, softball umpire
- Bob Lucey, football coach
- Lawyer Milloy, football
- Brad Muri, wrestling
- Steve Mussie, volleyball
- Tom Mustin, boxing coach
- Gary Nicholson, athletic trainer
- Ted Pearson, sports writer
- Megan (Quann) Jendrick, swimming
- Bob Ross, basketball coach
- Mark Salzman, track and field athlete/coach
- Hali (Saucier) Riechers, gymnastics/diving
- Steve Thomas, broadcasting
- Marcus Trufant, football
- Jim “Zeke” Schuldt, athletic trainer
- Jay Stricherz, football official
- Joe Waters, soccer coach and player
- Mark Wells, basketball
- Dick Zatkovich, football coach
PLAYERS TAVERN/HEIDELBERG SLOWPITCH SOFTBALL TEAM (1965-71)
Ken Alban (dec.), Doug Armstrong, Dave Bishop, Jerry Brodigan, Ed Burmester, Dick Dahlstrom (dec.), Jerry Ehnat, Jerry Foss (dec.), Bob Grant, Bill Hain (dec.), Bob Hause (dec.), Bill Herbert, Ken Laase, Jim Lane, Wayne Lange (dec.), Denny Larson (dec), Don Leaf (dec.), Don Kitchen (dec.), Marco Malich, Don Martelli, Terry Martin (dec.), Ron Moseson (dec.), Butch Pasquale, Gordy Pfeifer, Mike Prentice (batboy), Bud Reed, Al Reil (dec.), Bill Royne, Dick Samlaska, Steve Sand, Ron Schmidtke, Ken Schulz, Scott Schulz (batboy), Bob Sonneman, Tom Sonneman (dec.), Jerry Thacker, Terry Trowbridge, Ted Whitney, Bob Young, Mike Zenk and Dick Zierman.
Tickets are $50 and include dinner, souvenir program, guest speaker, video presentation, parking and the opportunity to view vintage sports memorabilia in the Shanaman Sports Museum which is one of the hosts along with the Tacoma Athletic Commission.
Besides recognizing some of the best athletes and achievements in the history of our community, guests will have an opportunity to bid on outstanding auction items:
- tickets to the 2017 Super Bowl
- tickets to the college football playoff championship game in Tampa, FL
- tickets to games 3 and 4 of the 2016 World Series
- Groundskeeper for a Day at Safeco Field, and
- an autographed and personalized football by Doug Baldwin.
Proxy bids will also be accepted for those unable to attend.
For more information about the banquet and auction, to view photos or purchase tickets go to www.banquetofchampions.org or contact Marc Blau, chairman (253-677-2872).