The Steilacoom Historical Museum Association is excited to present a Historical Home Tour on May 14 from 10 until 4.
The buildings that will be open to the public date from 1857 through 1962. The Balch House built in 1857 is connected to two early pioneers of the town – Lafayette, one of the founders of Steilacoom and Albert, his brother, a storekeeper.
The E.R. Rogers House, a landmark 17 room Victorian mansion, was built in 1891. It was completely renovated in 2008, and is an example of adaptive preservation.
Hill House, a 1930 asymmetrical saltbox style still features the original windows, doors and trim. It was renovated in 1999 and enlarged. Care was taken to match the original millwork. It is surrounded by a large cultivated garden, with features detailed in garden journals from the 1940’s.
Built in 1962, Brier House has a semi-rural setting with large expanses of lawn rimmed with rhododendron, plus a fern and native plant garden, which leads into the woods. Designed in the style of a New England saltbox, it’s interior decoration looks back to Georgian and Federal periods.
The Church of the Immaculate Conception is the oldest Catholic Church in the state. Originally built in 1854 near Fort Steilacoom, it was moved to its present location in 1864. It was the first Catholic Church built in Washington and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.
On the corner of Main and Rainier Streets, the Steilacoom Museum and the 1854 Nathaniel Orr Pioneer Home Site will be open from noon to 5:00 as well.
Tour price is $20.00 for the general public. Tickets will be available on the day of the event at the Ticket Tent adjacent to the Bair Drug & Hardware Store, 1617 Lafayette Street. Children under 10 are discouraged.Print This Post