WSDOT recently installed traffic meters on the north and southbound ramps of Exits 116, 118 and 119 in DuPont. Since the installation, the city has experienced a significant increase in backups that are affecting the main thoroughfares in DuPont. Discussions between WSDOT and the City of DuPont have been ongoing. We have identified several areas of concern, and together have been working toward a solution.
On October 29, 2015, WSDOT completed the first traffic revision. The following changes were made to the southbound onramp at exit 118:
- New paint was applied to the roadway prohibiting a left turn onto the southbound onramp. This change affects travelers exiting JBLM.
- Two “No Left Turn” signs were installed, on the overpass and at the intersection. One of the signs has a flashing yellow light directly above it to call attention to it.
- Arrows were painted on the overpass in two locations indicating through traffic only. The left turn arrows were removed.
- A “Traffic Revision” sign was placed on the overpass at the junction where traffic from JBLM merges with traffic on the overpass.
- A large, electronic reader board sign was placed on JBLM inside the exit gate which flashes a message indicating there is no left turn at the southbound 118 onramp.
In spite of the signals and markings, WSDOT and the DuPont Police Department observed numerous traffic violations being committed. Officers did stop multiple violators and infractions were written.
The primary goals of the DuPont Police Department are education and enforcement. It has come to our attention that some residents are concerned with the number of tickets issued on day one of this traffic revision.
We understand have asked for additional educational resources from WSDOT and they will be installing another temporary reader board at the exit to add to the other ongoing efforts to educate motorists about the traffic restriction to I-5 south at Exit 118. Thank you.