The 2015-16 school year in the Town on the Sound has officially begun.
While students are returning to Cherrydale, Saltar’s Point, Anderson Island, Chloe Clark and the High School, there is one place where many former SHSD students can recall the subtle exercise they had each day–ascending and descending the staircase in Steilacoom School.
Originally opened in 1917, in1962 when Cherrydale School was built, the two-story brick structure was renamed Pioneer Middle School. Pioneer Middle School officially closed in 2009, and a new Pioneer Middle School opened that fall in DuPont.
Last year the historic structure on Nisqually/Sequalish streets was transformed into the District’s Administrative Offices. There are 26 stairs on each side of the original school’s staircase: 26 on one side and 26 on the opposite side. There’s now also an elevator for those who need to ascend quickly to the second floor.
When it was re-opened to its new use, the former school also became a mini-museum in Steilacoom, featuring a permanent display of early school district photos.
Whether or not you’re a former SHSD student, consider a visit the District Office to view the collection of historic photos. The 1897 graduation photo (upper left corner of photo assortment) that features four young graduates and their teacher is especially worthy of notice. Those who are interested in acquiring their own copy of the District’s History book ($35 each) should phone Carol Neufeld-Stout at 253-582-5838.