By Linda Tatlock, FRIENDS Vice President
Have you ever wondered what happens to those books you donated to FRIENDS of Lakewood Library?
- You ring the bell at the back door.
- The door is answered by a friendly staff member. Need a cart? Need help unloading books? Need a tax form? They are ready and happy to help.
- Your book sits on a cart by the back door until the cart is full: It then rides the elevator to the basement where it waits patiently, in the dark, for Thursday.
- Oh, Thursday! On Thursday all the Moles, members of the Mole Patrol who volunteer to work with and shepherd each donated book, show up ready for their tasks.
- The Moles, up to 24 of them, sort all the donations and see that your book gets to where it needs to go. This can take considerable sorting since there are over 80 sections. Over 80 is a lot but these book people are not daunted by numbers.
- Once your book has found its spot, the Mole-in-Charge (such a title!) of that section will inspect your book and remove any “stuff” tucked inside (that is a whole story in itself) and insure every book passes the “sniff test.” Your book is cleaned, with any old price tags removed, a new price sticker attached, and assigned to a shining new, if temporary, shelf.
- Some books do not spend much time waiting on the shelf. They are sent upstairs to the FRIENDS Ongoing, always popular, Sale area just to the right of the front door where, between sales, knowledgeable patrons can always find a good book. Incoming donations are always making the trip upstairs to “refresh” and inspire our Ongoing Sale area.
- Books that stay on the shelves downstairs are poised and positioned for our twice yearly (October and March) sales. Purchased books, from upstairs or downstairs, happily (we all know books have feelings) go home with new owners to be read and enjoyed and sometimes even returned to the library (see Step One) for re-sale.
P.S. An important postscript: As book-oriented as we all are, FRIENDS also accept magazines, maps, music, puzzles, CDs, DVDs: you will marvel at the wealth of material! We thank you for your donations and support, and will look forward to seeing you again at every sale. We hope we keep you going, and please know you do the same for us.
Katie R., Vancouver, Wash. commented on the March 2015 book sale:
”We made it up to the sale on Saturday. I will definitely come back again. It was the most organized and fantastic sale I’ve ever seen. I am going to tell my local library they need to go visit your onsite sale to see how they are really run. It was so wonderful to see such respect for your customers and the books.”
Reprinted with permission from from the March 2015 FRIENDS of Lakewood Library Newsletter.