Drivers should take extra care and prepare for travel delays as the 2015 Group Health Seattle to Portland Bicycle Classic (STP) rolls through western Washington beginning Saturday, July 11.
Organizers expect 10,000 cyclists to travel on state highways and local roads during the popular event. The Washington State Department of Transportation asks drivers to share the road, keep a sharp eye and allow extra time for travel. Bicyclists also are reminded of their responsibility to follow Washington’s rules of the road.
The STP route follows state highways and local roads in these areas:
- State Route 181 – West Valley Highway in Kent.
- Puyallup area county roads and city streets.
- State Route 7 – near Spanaway.
- State Route 507 – from Roy to Centralia.
- SR 507/Third Street in Yelm.
- SR 507/Mossman Street in Yelm.
- Centralia and Chehalis city streets.
- County roads – Napavine to Winlock to Vader.
- State Route 506 – Vader area.
- Westside Highway – Vader to Castle Rock.
- State Route 411 – Castle Rock to Longview.
- State Route 432 – Longview Industrial area.
- State Route 433 – Crossing the Lewis and Clark Bridge from Longview into Oregon.
Based on previous STP rides, congestion and delays are expected:
- Early morning Saturday, July 11, on SR 7 in Pierce County.
- Midmorning to afternoon Saturday, July 11, on SR 507 in Thurston and Lewis counties.
- Early Sunday, July 12, on SR 411 from Castle Rock to Kelso.
- All day Sunday, July 12, near the Lewis and Clark Bridge in Longview.
Event organizers, WSDOT and law enforcement will aid cyclists and drivers by directing traffic at the following locations:
Saturday, July 11
- SR 507 between Roy and Yelm (roving Washington State Patrol).
- SR 507/Third Street in Yelm (police officers).
- SR 507/Mossman Street in Yelm (police officers).
- SR 507/Tenino Trail crossing (police officers or certified flaggers).
Sunday, July 12
- SR 411/Castle Rock area (flagger at SR 411/Public Highway 10).
- SR 411 between Castle Rock and Longview (roving WSP trooper).
- SR 411/Lexington/Riverside County Park area (police officers at SR 411 and the park).
- SR 432/433 at Lewis and Clark Bridge in Longview (WSP, flaggers and motorcycle escort).
Drivers on SR 432 in Longview can expect delays of up to 20 minutes from 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Sunday, July 12. WSP and flaggers will stop southbound drivers on SR 433 so STP riders can cross the Lewis and Clark Bridge, escorted by Gold Wing motorcycle club members. Riders crossing the bridge on Saturday will not have a bridge escort and are expected to ride with traffic.