The 115th U.S. Open, scheduled for June 15-21 at nearby Chambers Bay Golf Course, is rapidly approaching.
Fort Steilacoom Park is one of the designated sites where attendees can park and take a shuttle to the course (Click on the map below). Traffic from other parts of the South Sound may use Lakewood to get to the course.
Because of that, the City of Lakewood would like to offer these important facts that residents and visitors should keep in mind:
- Fort Steilacoom Park will be open to general public all week during normal park hours – the City is NOT closing the park.
- Parking is free and users do NOT need a special pass to park. Everyone is always welcome at Fort Steilacoom Park.
- Park guests (regulars and visitors) will enter the park from a few new areas. There will be signage and parking lot support staff to help everyone safely access the area.
- The gravel parking lot near the lake is not being used by the US Open visitors, so regular users will be able to find a place to park.
- The sidewalk trail along Steilacoom Boulevard will be open to foot traffic. A portion will be closed, but pedestrians will be routed around it so they can still get to the other side of the screening area.
- They anticipate the busy hours to be from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m., and 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. If you are concerned about the impact, you may want to visit the park at alternate times.
- For those want to take public transportation to the park instead of driving, they should use Pierce Transit bus route No. 212 or check Pierce Transit website for more information.
- Since there will be more people visiting the park and cars will be driving in places they normally don’t go, everyone should exercise care and caution.