Thanks to Milt Davidson and Sally Jacky Davidson for the loan of the 1943 Edition of the Lakewood Log. Editor Charles Mann published the Log beginning in 1937. Here are a few news items from the March 19, 1943 edition. Perusing stories from long-ago newspapers, available on microfilm at Lakewood Library, provides interesting insight into the way things were in the “good old” days:
- Miss Bernice Scholes, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Harold Scholes of Steilacoom, who had been a service representative for the Pacific Telephone and Telegraph Co, of Seattle, has been accepted by the WAACS and left Friday morning for Des Moines, Iowa where she will be receiving training in the communications department.
- Jack Kimball, ex-faculty from Clover Park high school, writes from his base near Belfast that he is having many interesting experiences flying to other bases as a payroll clerk. (Probably better than teaching classes!)
- Mrs. Hattie Bair, local chairman of the Red Cross Fund, reported that nearly $400 had been donated by local citizens.
- Steilacoom book club members were guests of Mrs. Tracy McDonald for lunch on Tuesday afternoon. (Wonder what was served?)
- J. W. Tubbs, stationed at Santa Barbara, is in the process of taking an intensive training course at the artillery motor school in Stockton, CA