Join the City of Lakewood for Opening Day at the Lakewood Farmers Market on Tuesday, June 3! We will kick off our third season at 10 a.m., with a ribbon-cutting ceremony hosted by the Chamber of Commerce, live entertainment featuring the Blackberry Bushes at 11 a.m., reusable market tote giveaways and, of course, those delicious, fresh, local food options! The market runs every Tuesday from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m., through Sept. 16 at Lakewood City Hall, 6000 Main Street SW. Note: This year, the City will not be closing Main Street Southwest – the road next to market.
June 11 Open House on I-5/JBLM Congestion Relief Study
Commuters, residents and local businesses that rely on Interstate 5 near Joint Base Lewis-McChord are invited to comment and learn more about a study on relieving congestion along the I-5 corridor during an informal open house June 11 south of DuPont.
State transportation officials will be on hand to answer questions at the event and discuss potential options to improve traffic flow through the area. Officials representing the Washington State Department of Transportation, area metropolitan transportation planning organizations, JBLM and the Federal Highway Administration are jointly host the open house at the Eagles Pride Fort Lewis Golf Course. For details, visit goo.gl/0vS6Re .
Lakewood Youth Advisory Council
Attention high school students who live or attend class in Lakewood: your City wants you.
The City of Lakewood is currently recruiting people, such as yourself, for its Youth Advisory Council. Whether you attend Lakes High or Clover Park High, the Lakewood Career Academy or simply live in Lakewood but attend class somewhere else, this is a great opportunity for you to develop leadership skills, bulk up your resume for college and gain invaluable experience. For more information, visitgoo.gl/U9Wxxi .
Lakewood Businesses Named ‘Best Of The South Sound’
A few Lakewood-based businesses were recognized by South Sound Magazine in its “The Best Of The South Sound 2014” edition, which hit stands this week.
- In the Arts & Entertainment category, AMC Lakewood Towne Center 12 was named best Movie Theater. “It’s a first-class theater where guests can purchase tickets ahead of time online and reserve their fully reclining seats before they even step foot in the parking lot,” according to the magazine. AMC Lakewood Towne Center 12 is located at 5721 Main St. SW.
- In the Pets category, Chambers Creek Veterinary Hospital was named best Veterinary, marking the second consecutive year the Lakewood veterinary hospital has been honored by South Sound Magazine. “Chambers Creek Veterinary Hospital provides experienced service they (pet owners) trust and respect,” according to the magazine. Chambers Creek Veterinary Hospital is 7210 Bridgeport Way W.
Also, in the Businesses & Services, Heritage Bank was named best Bank + Large Business. Heritage has several locations in Lakewood and across the South Sound.
Congratulations to all of our local winners!
Business Showcase: H&L Produce
In 1980, two teens from Boise, Idaho – Brian Lloyd and Paul Heist – set out to make a few bucks. Armed with a knife and 50 cases of oranges, grapefruit and apples, they drove around residential neighborhoods selling fruit. When that proved less than fruitful, they decided to approach businesses. First were banks – They would scan the customers, trying to find the one person who would buy first. Brian and Paul knew that if they could make this one sale, everyone else would follow. With the help of Paul’s dad, they were able to buy a 20 foot trailer with foldout sides and legs (they used for tables), and 500 cases of oranges. H&L Produce was born.
Indeed, it was a humble beginning for a thriving business that has operated more than 20 years at the corner of 74th and Lakewood Drive. Read H&L Produce’s full story at goo.gl/N6MMKo .
Parks, Recreation and Community Services
International Students, Lakewood Seniors (Finally) Meet
Organized by Becky Anderson through the Pierce College Service Learning Department, seniors at the Lakewood Senior Activities Center and students in Mishelle Pasinato’s Writing 4 class participated in a letter exchange, which included a mid-project, meet-and-greet on May 14. After exchanging letters, the Pierce College students and seniors met in person to play a game and have lunch together, getting a chance to put a face to the name of their respective partner. Lunch was provided through the Pierce College Foundation. All parties thoroughly enjoyed the ‘mixer,’ lamenting only that next time, they will need to have more time together! Overall, the letter and the visit increased students’ cultural knowledge of America, with the meeting enhancing the letter-writing experience. Everyone agreed that this should be a quarterly event!
Judge Blinn Speaks To Rotary
Judge Grant Blinn and Court Administrator Deana Wright were guest speakers at the Clover Park Rotary meeting on Wednesday, May 28 to give an overview of Municipal Court services and inform members of the day-to-day functions of the Court. The presentation included statistics, court procedures and how the court is undertaking efficiency measures. For pictures, visit the City of Lakewood’s Facebook page here .
The City Council will be holding a regular meeting on Monday, June 2, 2014, beginning at 7:00 p.m., in the City Hall Council Chambers located at 6000 Main Street SW. Agenda items for the meeting include:
- Proclamation recognizing Larry Humphrey
- Youth Council Report and recognition
- Clover Park School District Report
- Set July 7, 2014 as public hearing date on Six Year Transportation Improvement Plan (TIP)
- Set June 16, 2014 as public hearing on 2013-2014 biennial budget amendments
- Adopt Municipal Code amendments relative to the Hearings Examiner processes
- Approve interlocal agreement with Pierce College for tree restoration
- Approve architectural contract for the design of the Public Works O& M shop
The City Council will be holding a study session on Monday, June 9, 2014, beginning at 7:00 p.m., in the City Hall Council Chambers located at 6000 Main Street SW. Agenda items for the meeting include:
- Joint Lodging Tax Advisory Committee meeting
- Review of subdivision code amendments
- Review of Six Year Transportation Improvement Plan
- Review of 2013-2014 biennial budget amendments
- Amending the fee schedule for industrial warehouse building permits