In its meeting on May 12, the Clover Park School District Board of Directors approved school attendance boundary adjustments for elementary schools located on Joint Base Lewis-McChord (JBLM). The adjustments take effect for the 2014-15 school year and result from opening of two new schools: Rainier Elementary School (JBLM Main) and Meriwether Elementary (JBLM North). A third new elementary school is anticipated to open in Fall 2015.
The boundary adjustments allow district officials to address student enrollment and building capacity at each school. The recommendations were made to:
- Better define school attendance areas;
- Balance school enrollments;
- Support neighborhood unity; and
- Provide continuity for families.
A letter from the school district was sent to families affected by the boundary adjustments. Highlights of the proposed boundary adjustments and decisions regarding acceptance of attendance waivers are:
- Kindergarten waivers will not be accepted for Hillside and Rainier Elementary Schools. This includes those families who may have siblings currently attending Clarkmoor, Greenwood and Hillside Elementary Schools this school year.
- No waivers (K-5) will be accepted for Meriwether Elementary School.
- All waiver students currently enrolled in an elementary school will be allowed to continue for the 2014-15 school year. A new waiver request form must be completed for final approval. A waiver request does not guarantee enrollment of siblings not currently enrolled.
- Current Clarkmoor Elementary students, who reside in the Parkway housing area, will attend Hillside Elementary;
- Boundaries were developed to define the residential areas on JBLM-North to a specific school of attendance (Meriwether or Beachwood).
- Students residing in the newly defined Beachwood attendance area will attend school at Greenwood Elementary School as a transitional school for the 2014-15 school year.
A public hearing for families to learn about the proposed boundary adjustments was held April 21.
Each school has a complete list of addresses for its attendance boundaries. If you have questions, please contact your neighborhood school or the assistant superintendent of elementary schools Othene Wade at 253-583-5160.