On Saturday, April 12, at 2:00 pm, Barbara Reid (a retired US Army Colonel) will give a presentation at the Steilacoom Historical Museum (1801 Rainier or the corner of Rainier and Main Streets in Steilacoom). The presentation is on Peter Puget and the places he explored in this area. Ms. Reid is working on the LT Peter Puget Memorial Project which is creating several memorials to Peter Puget and his exploration party. There is no charge and everyone is welcome.
Some background: Puget Sound was named for a young English lieutenant on Captain Vancouver’s exploratory expedition of the early 1790s. Sixteen men, under the command of Puget, departed from Vancouver’s ship, the Discovery, in two small boats in May, 1792. For seven days the survey party rowed from what is Seattle to the Olympia area charting the shores and sounding the depths of water of the inlets of southern Puget Sound. Travelling past Vashon Island they experienced strong tides at the Narrows, unfriendly Indians near Carr Inlet, friendly Indians at Eld Inlet, heavy rains and a multitude of experiences. Nearby they named present day McNeil Island as Pidgeon Island and Ketron Island was named Long Island. Learn more about this adventure at the Museum, 2:00, Saturday, April 12.Print This Post