TACOMA, WASH. — The opening of a new outlet by Jimmy John’s Gourmet Sandwiches at 1708 Pacific Ave., Tacoma, Wash., represents another milestone in the successful revival of retail activity in South Downtown. The store opened on March 4, 2014.
The eatery occupies space in the Russell T. Joy building, built in 1892 by Mr. Joy, a 19th century builder and real estate developer. Over the years, the building has been occupied by paper distributors, candy companies, wholesale groceries, a glove maker, and auto-related business, such as a Firestone Tire store and Studebaker and Oldsmobile dealerships. By the time the UW Tacoma campus was established in 1997, the building was vacant and neglected. After a thorough renovation completed in 2011—and a LEED Platinum sustainability certification—the building has attracted awards for its design and historic preservation.
Jimmy John’s joins other recently-opened food retailers in the Pacific Avenue frontage of the Joy Building. Than Brothers Pho opened in December, 2013, and Granola’s Frozen Yogurt opened in October.
UW Tacoma Pacific Avenue restaurants and retailers—and the two food trucks that now include the campus in their rotation—not only serve the growing population of students, faculty and staff attending or employed by the University. They also provide varied dining and shopping options for downtown residents, workers and visitors, thereby helping to drive the continued economic revitalization of downtown Tacoma.