On October 23, 2013, the Steilacoom Historical School District Board of Directors voted to approve a construction contract proposal from Jones & Roberts Co., of Olympia, for the remodel of the oldest Steilacoom school building. This site formerly housed Pioneer Middle School and prior to that, Kindergarten through grade 8 for Steilacoom School District. This project will include demolition of the 1950’s classroom wings and the gymnasium and upgrading the cafeteria/professional development center added to the school in the 1990’s.
Landscaping and parking will be added to eliminate on street parking required when the softball field/park at the same location is in use.
Pioneer Middle School relocated to DuPont in 2008 and the buildings between Sequalish and Nisqually streets in Steilacoom were declared surplus. Since that time the buildings have been used as district administrative office space and storage as well as conference and community rental facilities. Two community groups have been hosted in the school district buildings for many years and have temporarily moved. The local Kiwanis group meets at Saltar’s Point Library and the Steilacoom Food Pantry is now located in Oberlin Congregational Church, both locations in Steilacoom.
The contractor will begin work mid-November, staging dumpsters and equipment on Chambers Street. Estimated completion date is April 2014. The Town of Steilacoom is currently upgrading Sequalish Street in the same area, so caution is advised when driving in this area or visiting the school district administration offices located across the street from the construction site.
Upon completion the remodeled building will house the District Business Office along with the Technology, Human Resource, Student Services, Teaching and Learning Departments and the Superintendent’s office.