Tacoma Rail will open its doors from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 24. Take a free train ride, tour a locomotive and caboose and check out model trains at the annual Open House.
The event aims to educate the public about the railroad’s freight switching service that supports the Port of Tacoma.
”Our eco-friendly locomotives will pull the passenger train through the Port of Tacoma,” said Dale King, Tacoma Rail superintendent. “It’s a great opportunity to see the railroad and the port from a view you can’t get any other day.”
As part of the event, Tacoma Rail will collect donations for FISH Food Banks of Pierce County. Visitors who want to donate should bring non-perishable foods in boxes, cans or plastic containers. Some of the highest-need items include baby food, peanut butter and tuna.
Tacoma Rail Open House visitors will stay busy:
- Free train rides around the Tacoma’s Tideflats
- Walk through a locomotive
- Eco-friendly locomotives that reduce air emissions by 40 percent
- Exclusive peek at rarely seen rail maintenance equipment, rail yards and other rail operations
- Model train displays
For more information, go to mytpu.org or call (253) 502-8818.
- From I-5 exit at Port of Tacoma Road, go north on Port of Tacoma Road to SR 509, turn left toward SR 509 South but keep along the railroad track to parking.
- From downtown Tacoma, take SR 509 North to the Port of Tacoma Road exit, turn left onto port of Tacoma Road, turn left again toward SR 509 South but keep along the railroad track to parking.
- From Northeast Tacoma, take SR 509, Marine View Drive south to the Port of Tacoma Road exit, proceed straight across Port of Tacoma Road toward SR 509 South but keep along the railroad track to parking.
- Free shuttles buses will run every 45 minutes during the day between the Maritime Festival at Thea’s Park to the Tacoma Dome station from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.