By Paul Loveless, Steilacoom Town Administrator
- Council Meeting – May 21, 2013 at 6:30 PM at Town Hall.
- Preservation and Review Board – May 22, 2013 at 6:30 PM at Town Hall.
- Civil Service – June 5, 2013 at 2:00 PM at the Community Center.
- Planning Commission – May 28, 2013 at 6:30 PM at Town hall.
Council Future Agenda “Look-Ahead” Issues:
Copies of the Agenda and staff reports are available at all Town facilities once published. The Agenda and Council meeting minutes are posted to the Town’s official website.
Document Shredding Event:
WHO – Steilacoom / LeMay Mobile Shredding
WHAT – Confidential Document Shredding
WHEN – Saturday May 18th / 9 to Noon
WHERE – Steilacoom Public Works – 1030 Roe Street Steilacoom
Limit two file boxes or three grocery bags per resident. Please do not bring plastic bags, DVDs or other items that will jam the shredder.
Free to Town of Steilacoom residents. Non-perishable food items and cash donations accepted and appreciated in support of the We Love Steilacoom Food Pantry.
Pierce County Department of Emergency Management Water Rescue Training:
On Thursday, May 16, 21 fire and police agencies conducted training exercises involving water rescues in the Puget Sound at Sunnyside Beach Park in Steilacoom.
The goal of the exercise was to evaluate both individual agency capabilities and their ability to effectively communicate and work together.
These exercises focused on dive rescue and surface water rescue efforts and were conducted for training purposes, as well as building interagency partnerships. Marine units trained using different vessels simultaneously during the water scenarios.
Participating agencies included Anderson Island Fire Department, Browns Point/Dash Point Fire Department, Central Pierce Fire & Rescue, East Pierce Fire & Rescue, Gig Harbor Fire & Medic One, Gig Harbor Police Department, Graham Fire & Rescue, Key Peninsula Fire Department, Lakewood Police Department, Orting Valley Fire & Rescue, Pierce County Emergency Management, Pierce County Incident Management Team, Pierce County Regional Air Support, Pierce County Sheriff’s Department, Port of Tacoma, South King Fire & Rescue, Steilacoom Police Department, Tacoma Fire Department, Tacoma Police Department, United States Coast Guard, and West Pierce Fire & Rescue.
Sequalish Street Reconstruction Project:
Meetings continue with residents along the project and design continues. We are at approximately 80% of design. An advertisement date has not been set yet.
Streets and Storm:
The Crew installed 2-hour parking signs along Starling Street based upon resident request and in compliance with the SMC. They also performed right-of-way maintenance and storm system vactoring/maintenance.
The Main Street and Lafayette Street electrical improvement project pre-construction meeting was held on Tuesday. We anticipate the contractor will begin potholing the project next week.
The Crew located facilities along the Main/Lafayette Street project in anticipation of the contractor starting next week and performed other maintenance as needed or normally scheduled.
The Crew performed water main testing on the recently installed line at Norberg Estates, completed annual respirator fit tests, and continued working on the SCADA system.
Parks and Grounds:
Vandalism at Sunnyside Park:
Vandals defaced the restrooms, cook shack, picnic tables, and garbage cans within the park. Anyone with information on who might be associated with the tag “ABEL”, please contact Public Safety.
The Crew continued assisting the Eagle Scout candidate on his kiosk project at the Farrell’s Drive entrance to Farrell’s Marsh, worked on the backbone trail, continued turning on water fountains and sprinklers, along with other park maintenance.
The Cedar Creek Work Crew was in Town twice this week working on the western slope of the backbone trail in Madrona Park. The project is not completed yet, however, substantial progress has been made.
Six privately owned historic homes in the Historic District of Steilacoom will be on view to the public from 10:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. on Saturday, June 8. The tour, presented by the Steilacoom Historical Museum Association, will feature homes dating from 1858 through 1895. Of these, five were built when Washington was still a territory, and one built just after Washington achieved statehood. All the homes are within the Steilacoom Historic District, which has 30 structures listed and is recognized by the National Register of Historic Sites. There has not been a home tour in Steilacoom for almost forty years.
The tour includes Rolling Hill, built in 1858 by merchant Philip Keach, with its well tended garden overlooking Puget Sound. This home is placed separately on the National Register of Historic Sites and owned by the same family since 1937.
The homes are typical of their time period, including several with Gothic Revival styling, and one early summer home later moved up from the water to it’s present location when the railroad came through in 1912. They were owned by pioneers whose stories describe the beginnings of this region, such as Steven Appleby who was president of the National Bank of Tacoma and was instrumental in situating Fort Lewis on the Nisqually Plain or Wolf Shafer who established a successful brewery in town and later became Pierce County Treasurer.
Prices are $15.00 for Steilacoom Historical Museum Association members, or $20.00 for the general public. Both ticket categories will be available at the Museum, 1801Rainier Street, on weekends in May from 1 to 5 p.m. or on the day of the event at Perkins Park at the corner of Union and Martin Streets. General public tickets will also be available online after May 1 at www.steilacoomhistorical.
On-street parking is available near all the stops on the tour. Several of the homes are within close walking distance. Steilacoom restaurants and coffee shops will be open during the day, and the Steilacoom Museum with the 1854 Nathaniel Orr Pioneer Home Site will be open from noon to 5:00.
Proceeds will benefit the Steilacoom Historical Museum Association. For further information, please contact the Museum at 253.584.4133.