By Dawn Masko, City Administrator, City of DuPont
Settlement Agreement. The City Council determined the public review process for the Settlement Agreement at their July 12th Council meeting. The review process includes two special meetings on August 2nd and August 30th, as well as deliberations at the September 27th and October 11th regular Council meetings. A sixty day comment period opened on July 12th and will conclude at 4:00 PM on September 9th. Please send written comments to Erin Larsen, City Clerk at 1700 Civic Drive, DuPont, WA 98327 or at firstname.lastname@example.org. Information regarding the Settlement Agreement can be found on the City’s website at www.ci.dupont.wa.us.
1. Pierce County Voters’ Pamphlet
The Pierce County Voters’ Pamphlet for the August 16th primary election is available online at Pierce County Voters’ Pamphlet. .
2. Shoreline Master Program Update
The Planning Agency will hold a special meeting on July 18, 2011 to review the Draft Restoration Plan for the Shoreline Master Program Update. The Draft Restoration Plan will be posted on the City’s website as soon as it is available from the consultants.
3. Summer Fun at the Park
This year’s Summer Fun at the Park is happening on Saturday, July 16th from 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM. Come to Clocktower Park to join in the fun and festivities, including a Classic Car Show, live entertainment, children’s activities, bouncy houses, a magic show, and a musical tribute to John Denver. Carr’s BBQ and Farrelli’s will be on site with modestly priced lunch items for your picnic in the park. Over 200 classic cars have already registered to participate! Many of our participants are staying in local hotels in order to participate in Sunday’s classic car show in the neighboring Town of Steilacoom. This event is proudly sponsored by Northwest Landing ROA and the City of DuPont Tourism Board.
4. Street Striping Rescheduled
After another week of weather related delays, our annual street striping has been rescheduled to occur on Thursday, July 21st – Friday, July 22nd. We are asking that motorists drive carefully through the work zones, obey all temporary traffic controls, and avoid driving over any cones and wet paint while the work is being completed. This work is being coordinated through a partnership with Pierce County road maintenance crews. Remember to “Give ‘Em A Break” when you see flashing lights, road work equipment and workers.
5. DuPont Public Works Standards SEPA Decision
DuPont issued a SEPA (State Environmental Protection Act) decision on a document that combines the existing DuPont Street Standards and the DuPont Water Standards into one comprehensive guide. This specification manual is for designers and developers to use in preparation of plans, studies, and/or reports for development and redevelopment construction or extension of road, water or stormwater projects within the City of DuPont.
6. Upcoming Meetings – Week of July 18th – 22nd
- Parks Agency Meeting
Monday, July 18th at 7:00 PM
- Planning Agency Meeting
Monday, July 18th at 7:00 PM
- City Council Workshop
Tuesday, July 19th at 6:00 PM
7. Council Workshop Items – July 19th, 2011
- Youth Council
- Civic Center Financin
8. Parks & Recreation
- Registration is now open for “Beat the Heat” Dance Camp. The camp runs August 15th thru 19th from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM at the Community Center and is open to participants 5 years and older. The camp fee is $150 and includes Hip Hop, Tap, Musical Theatre and Jazz.
- Dance4Life schedules will be available August 1st. Watch the City’s website for details.
- Join other baseball enthusiasts on Wednesday, July 27th for the City of DuPont Parks & Recreation Day at Cheney Stadium. The cost is $12 per participant and includes a reserved Tacoma Rainiers game ticket, ballpark meal, game program, and a special autograph session after the game. Cheer on the Rainiers as they take on the Sacramento Rivercats! Participants may reserve their seat by contacting Parks & Recreation. Transportation to and from Cheney Stadium is not provided.
- Back by popular demand, the City of DuPont welcomes Challenger Sports again this summer. Our annual soccer camp runs August 8th – 12th at DuPont PowderWorks Park. Camp fees are $90 – $112 depending on the length of the program your child is signing up for. Registration forms are available at www.challengersports.com. Host families are needed for the coaches. Please call the City at (253) 912-5245 if you are interested.
- Calling all Seniors! Mark your calendar for Saturday, August 13th for a potluck featuring live entertainment by Ray Conn. The potluck will be held at the Community Center (303 Barksdale Ave.) with a social hour starting at 4:00 PM, dinner at 5:00 PM, and entertainment starting around 6:30 PM.
- Are you wanting to host a birthday party or special occasion outside this summer? Consider reserving one of our City parks or picnic shelters. Dates are filling up fast! Please contact (253) 964-8121 to inquire about availability.
- Visit our website for information on other programs and events including Yoga, Cheerleading, Dance4Life, Karate, and more!
9. Summer Reading Program
Journey to your Pierce County Library to participate in the One World, Many Stories summer reading adventure. Check out great books to read all summer, enter weekly drawings, win prizes and participate in fun, free events. The summer reading program is open for children ages 0 to 18. Visit the DuPont Library at 1540 Wilmington Drive to participate. Additional information can be found on the Pierce County Library’s 2011 Summer Reading Program web page.
10. Fire Sprinklers
The Washington Surveying and Rating Bureau evaluates and rates how effectively cities are enforcing model building codes, including installation of fire sprinklers in buildings. These ratings may be used by insurance companies to set premium rates. They may also be used by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to determine eligibility and premiums for flood insurance and eligibility for FEMA Hazard Mitigation grants. Having fire sprinklers in buildings can affect fire ratings by as much as 20 percent – which can represent a significant savings to home owners and business owners!
11. National Night Out
The date for National Night Out 2011 is Tuesday, August 2nd. It is never too early to start planning your neighborhood block party! Plan an afternoon or evening party with family, friends or neighbors and the DuPont Police and Fire Departments will attend. This is a great opportunity to get to know your police officers and firefighters and get answers to the questions you may have. National Night Out is designed to heighten crime and drug prevention awareness, and strengthen neighborhood spirit and public safety-community partnerships. To get more information or arrange a time for us to arrive at your event please contact Chief Hull at (253) 405-8048 and join America’s “Night Out Against Crime!
12. Skate Park Grant Update
At their June 22-23rd meeting, the RCO Funding Board approved the list of recommended projects to receive WWRP grants and thereby authorized award of partial grant funding for our skate park. As part of this approval, our project was also specifically identified as a top project to receive additional funding as it may become available from other projects. Staff has continued working with RCO staff to provide additional documents and information required to prepare our grant agreement and to monitor potential additional funds if they become available prior to completing the agreement. We are also currently researching a purchasing option that would allow the City to tap into a national contract and provide a discounted pricing option for the skate park. More information will be provided as it becomes available. In the meantime, the City is looking for volunteers willing to lead an effort fundraising to support the skate park project. Please contact City Hall if you are interested in helping make this project a reality!