City of Lakewood (City) is seeking a parcel of land either undeveloped, developed or some combination thereof to purchase for use or potential use as its Public Works Operations Facility. The City is seeking proposals from prospective property owners who are interested in having the City consider their property for potential purchase.
The purpose of publishing this Request for Proposal (RFP) is to provide City of Lakewood property owners the opportunity to respond to this request and submit a proposal to the City for consideration. The City maintains sole discretion regarding which property, if any, it selects to pursue purchasing, which includes properties that were not submitted in response to this RFP. The City evaluates real estate opportunities that meet its needs on a continuing, as-needed basis, and currently two unsolicited offers have been made to sell the City properties which are currently under consideration. This RFP has been issued to consider any additional proposals.
B. Public Works Operation Site Criteria
The City will consider the following criteria in evaluating proposals for possible purchase.
- The property is no further than a 2-1/2 mile radius from City Hall (6000 Main St SW, Lakewood, WA. 98499).
- The property is flat (no more than a 5% slope) with net usable area of 2 to 2-1/2 acres.
- Access to and from the property to the bulk of the City’s incorporated area is not dependent on the use of an I-5 over-pass or under-pass because Public Works is a first responder in earthquake events.
- The property is not located in a FEMA designated 100-year flood plain.
- The City’s proposed use of the property would be an outright permitted use under the property’s current existing zoning designation.
- The property does not have any wetlands on it or near it which would encumber the use of the property.
- The property is not encumbered with any contaminates that require clean up action under either State or Federal laws.
- The property either has public and/or private and/or quasi private utilities such as natural gas, electric, water, sanitary sewer, and other utilities readily available at its property lines. Or, if off-site easements are used to provide such utilities, , that the easements are recorded and grant the property rights necessary to connect to said utilities for service. In addition, the utilities are capable of servicing the property per the City’s intended use. For example, the water system will be required to meet the City’s anticipated domestic flow needs associated with its intended use and also be capable of meeting fire flow requirements if the City were to construct a 16,000 square foot building on the site for use as its Public Works Operations Facility.
- The property has either direct frontage on a City maintained public street or an existing recorded easement for ingress and egress purposes connecting it to a City maintained public street. In addition, said frontage or easement is of a width necessary to accommodate two way vehicular traffic and has no physical features, barriers or obstructions within same that would prevent accommodating said two-way traffic.
- The potential sale price of the property does not exceed $800,000.00 total, which amount includes all other costs (closing points, taxes, recording fees and all other transaction costs).
C. Proposal Requirements
The Request for Proposal shall include:
- An 8 ½” by 11” vicinity map which depicts the property’s location.
- A 8 ½” by 11” large scale aerial photo of the property which denotes property lines; property dimensions including total acreage; buildings if they exist thereon and their respective square footages; the existence of public and private utilities (sanitary sewer, water, power, natural gas and other utilities) within the boundaries of the property; any wells; any septic system(s); underground tank(s); ground contours and any significant features (natural or otherwise) that might affect the usability of the property. Also denote the location of any 8 inch caliper and larger Garry Oak Trees that may exists on the property. In addition show any offsite egress/ingress easement including the width thereof in feet if the property doesn’t front on a City maintained public street. Lastly, show any onsite easements that encumber property along any offsite utility easement necessary to service the property per the specific utilities noted herein.
- A 2-page (8 ½” by 11”) summary of how the property meets the City’s 10 Criteria noted in Section A. Also include therein a legal description of the property, its Tax Assessor parcel number, any outstanding amount owed in property taxes, any outstanding liens and/or mortgage amount owed on the property and any pending lien or legal action that may affect the property. The RFP must be signed and dated by the property owner(s) and acknowledge that it is being submitted to the City for possible property purchase consideration.
- The property owner’s contact person’s name, address, telephone number and email address.
Please submit two (2) copies of your RFP to: City of Lakewood, Office of the City Clerk, 6000 Main Street SW, Lakewood, WA 98499 no later than 5:00 PM, Friday, July 8, 2011.
D. The Acquisition
If the City pursues acquisition of a property, it is the City’s intent to secure an all cash negotiated sales price.. For informational purposes only, the City anticipates it would take approximately 30 days or more after the close of this RFP to select a property, if any, to pursue for possible acquisition. The closing of any property purchase will be subject to reaching full agreement of all terms and conditions of the purchase/sale agreement between the parties. Please note the City is only interested in negotiating directly with the property owner(s) or his/her representative. The City discourages all other representation, including inquiries seeking to represent the City.