By Mike Darrah
Our summer like weather on June 3-4 was enjoyed by all. In support of Relay For Life of Lakewood, Kiwanis volunteers manned the concession stand at Harry E Lang stadium, feeding the Relayers as they walked for 18 hours supporting loved ones who have cancer and remembering those who lost their battle. Open to the public, this event raised $135,000 in donations for the American Cancer Society.
Then on Tuesday, your Clover Park Kiwanis Club held their Annual Scholarship & Awards Luncheon for worthy students from Lakes and Clover Park High Schools. The deserving student scholarships are as follows:
- Clover Park HS, $1000 Rex Kelly Scholarship……….Shawnice Davis
- Lakes HS, $1000 William Dour Scholarship………….Rosemarie Mathison
- 2011 $1000 Ken Storaasli Key Club Scholarship………Magaly Santos, Clover Park HS
- 2011 $500 Kiwanis Scholarship, Clover Park HS…..Ashley Zuber
- 2011 $500 Kiwanis Scholarship, Lakes HS…..Angela Jong
And the following awards to:
Clover Park HS students for excelling in:
- Art…..Amanda Fullerton
- Music Instrumental…..Jacquelyn Billups
- Music Vocal…..Ashley Zuber
- Sportsmanship….. Jonathan (Tana) Pritchard
- Sportsmanship…..Shawnice Davis
and Lakes HS students:
- Art…..Rosemarie Mathison
- Music Instrumental…..William Huhner
- Music Vocal…..Christopher Doiron
- Sportsmanship…..Eddie Releford
- Sportsmanship…..Stephanie Brooks
It is always a pleasure to recognize our future leaders and to give them encouragement to keep up the good work. It is a very moving ceremony when you listen to the accomplishments of our graduating youth. Our thought for the occasion is “When one door closes, another opens. Seize the opportunity while the path remains lit.”
Why not come visit our club and enjoy a “free” lunch and learn how we give back to our community, supporting various causes but always focusing on the youth. Join us at 12:00 at the RAM Restaurant, 10019 59th Ave SW, Lakewood.
The giving back is what we are all about. We direct our passion to the enhancement of children, we help not only that child, but their family and ultimately our community. Join us as we give a child a chance to learn, experience, dream and succeed. Help this volunteer group as we raise funds in support of various local programs.
Please keep in your prayers our military personnel who are away from their friends, family and loved ones and we wish each of them a safe journey.
June 14, Kurt Sample, Lakewood’s Promise and Clover Park Technical College Public Speaking class
June 21, Sue Potter, Director of Development, Habitat of Humanity
For membership details contact Steve Schroeder, Members Chair at 253.984.7540 or 253.389.1843 Cell.
Also Bart Dalton, President at 253.581.2677 or 253.318.6792 Cell
We’ll see you on Tuesday, June 14..
Community Relations Chair, Kiwanis Club of Clover Park, 253.307.2962 Cell