By Dawn Masko, City Administrator, City of DuPont
1. Fire Department Grant. The DuPont Fire Department received notification this week that they have been awarded an AmeriCorps grant for a Vista Volunteer through the Washington Service Corps. This grant will provide a person to work in the arena of disaster preparedness throughout the City of DuPont and will coordinate with our regional partners. The position will be filled August 28th of this year and will run through August 27, 2012. The Disaster Preparedness Coordinator will work 40 hours per week and report to Fire Operations Chief Greg Cooper. We are very excited to be awarded a grant for this position as it will allow the Fire Department to better prepare the citizens of DuPont, our schools, and our businesses to be ready for any disaster situations that may arise.
2. Planning Agency Vacancy
The City is seeking interested residents for appointment to the City’s volunteer Planning Agency. Eligible applicants must be residents of DuPont for at least one year. Please submit a letter of interest that includes your relevant professional experience, your reasons for desiring to be appointed to this position, and your thoughts on the most significant planning issues facing the City in both the short and long term, to the City Clerk at City Hall, 1700 Civic Drive, DuPont, WA 98327.
3. Electric Vehicle Facilities Ordinance
The Planning Agency will hold a public hearing to take testimony on a draft ordinance regarding electric vehicle facilities on June 27, 2011 at 7:00 PM. The staff report and draft ordinance are posted on the City website under Planning – Staff Reports.
4. New Fireworks Rules
The DuPont Police and Fire Departments want to help keep families safe this Independence Holiday and make citizens aware of the code changes that take effect this year for the 4th of July celebration. In the City of DuPont it is only legal to discharge fireworks on July 3rd and 4th between the hours of Noon and Midnight. It is illegal to discharge fireworks on any public property, including streets, sidewalks and public parks. Illegal fireworks in DuPont are firecrackers, bottle rockets and individual missiles and rockets, cherry bombs, and any altered or homemade fireworks. Legal fireworks in DuPont include roman candles, cones and fountains, reloadable tubes and multiple aerials. A comprehensive list of legal fireworks devices and illegal explosive devices can be found here.
The City encourages its residents to have a safe and fun 4th of July and enjoy the liberty of discharging fireworks in DuPont, but please do so safely and with consideration for others and within the limitations of City law. Please contact the Police Department (253-964-7060) or the Fire Department (253-964-8414) for additional information.
5. Upcoming Meetings – Week of June 13th – 17th
- Planning Agency Meeting scheduled for Monday, June 13th has been cancelled
- Tourism Board Meeting Tuesday, June 14th at 2:00 PM
- City Council Meeting Tuesday, June 14th at 7:00 PM
6. Council Agenda Items – June 14th, 2011
- Consent Agenda Items: Council Meeting Minutes; Claims Vouchers
- Discussion Items: Cultural Resource Markers Buffer (Planning Agency); Surplus Ladder Truck; Facility Use Policy; Skate Park Grant Funding
7. Parks & Recreation
- Join All Sports Track and DuPont Parks & Recreation on Monday, June 13th at the Pioneer Middle School Track for the 2nd Annual Banana Split Family Fun Run. The fun run starts at 6:00 PM sharp. A registration fee of $5 includes a banana split after the run and a goodie bag for the kids. Children must be accompanied by an adult. Registration information is available on the City’s website or by calling Parks & Recreation at (253) 912-5245.
- Congratulations to our local karate participants who participated in the Regional Championships last weekend. Twenty-four of our participants medaled in the Championship! Many thanks to coach Skip for his leadership and guidance.
- Join the community in celebration of summer at the Ice Cream Social on Friday, June 17th at 2:00 PM at DuPont PowderWorks Park. Many thanks to sponsor Northwest Landing ROA!
- The 1st Annual Dance Night is being held on Friday, June 17th from 6:00 – 10:00 PM at the DuPont Community Center (303 Barksdale Avenue). This event is being offered by DuPont Parks & Recreation and Dance 4 Life and is open to ages 5 years and older. The cost is $20 per participant and includes pizza, games, dance cost, and lots of fun! Please contact Tammy Colbert at (253) 212-8770 for additional information.
- Got Junk? The semi-annual yard sale is scheduled for Saturday, June 18th from 8:00 AM – 3:00 PM. Any unsold items can be donated to the Goodwill donation center at Chloe Clark Elementary between the hours of noon – 5:00 PM. Friends of the DuPont Library will also be on site to collect any gently used books. This event is sponsored by Northwest Landing ROA. Please visit www.nwlandingroa.org for more details.
- Calling all Seniors who love to potluck, play games and drink coffee! Parks & Recreation is pleased to host Friday Senior Socials. Doors at the Community Center (located at 303 Barksdale) will open at 8:00 AM for early risers. Plan to enjoy coffee and homemade goodies until 11:00 AM. Mark your calendars for June 25th for a Senior Potluck as well. Wondering what to bring? Please contact your potluck coordinators: Hazel Printz 912-9764; Louise Bollman 756-6959; or Carol Estep 964-2636.
- School is ending soon. Be sure to sign up for summer sports camps. The City is again partnering with Skyhawks and Challenger Soccer to offer baseball, basketball, flag football, and soccer camps.
- Join other baseball enthusiasts on Wednesday, July 27th for the City of DuPont Parks & Recreation Day at Cheney Stadium. The cost is $12 per participant and includes a reserved Tacoma Rainiers game ticket, ballpark meal, game program, and a special autograph session after the game. Cheer on the Rainiers as they take on the Sacramento Rivercats! Participants may reserve their seat by contacting Parks & Recreation. Transportation to and from Cheney Stadium is not provided.
- Are you wanting to host a birthday party or special occasion outside this summer? Consider reserving one of our City parks or picnic shelters. Dates are filling up fast! Please contact (253) 964-8121 to inquire about availability.
- Visit our website for information on other programs and events including Yoga, Cheerleading, Dance4Life, Karate, and more!
8. Tentative Settlement Agreement Public Meeting
It is anticipated that a press release regarding a tentative settlement agreement negotiated during confidential settlement discussions between the Department of Ecology, CalPortland, the City of DuPont, and an environmental coalition will be released in mid-June. A public meeting to hear presentations from the parties involved regarding the tentative agreement is scheduled for Thursday, June 30th. Additional details will be available on the City’s website in the near future.
9. Tourism Update
- DuPont is please to welcome the best women golfers in the state to our City! The Washington State Women’s Amateur Golf Championship is being held at The Home Course from June 20th – 23rd. Practice rounds are scheduled for June 20th with the tournament rounds scheduled for June 20th – 23rd. Admission to this event is free.
- The City of DuPont’s Tourism Board and the Northwest Landing ROA are proud to host the Annual Summer Car Show on July 16th. This year’s show will take place at Clocktower Park.
Are you a car lover? Volunteers and ideas are always welcome! Please contact Gina Irvin if you would like to volunteer to help at email@example.com.
- All ages are encouraged to participate in the Great Pumpkin Challenge. Plant your seeds now and enjoy the fruits of your labor September 24th-25th at the Fall Festival. Contest details will be available online starting June 8th. Please see the following link for growing tips: Pumpkin Growing Tips.
10. Liberty Inn Hotel Expansion
Aliza Incorporated filed a Type II land use application on May 27th to construct 31 new rooms at the existing 72 room Liberty Inn Hotel at 1400 Wilmington Drive. The application was determined complete for processing on June 6th. A Type II land use decision, Type I commercial design and environmental decision must be obtained from the City of DuPont.
The public may comment on this Notice of Type II land use application by submitting written comments to the City of DuPont no later than 4:00 PM on July 6, 2011. Please contact Planning Manager Bill Kingman at (253) 912-5393 for additional information. The notice of land use application can be found on the City’s website under the Planning Department’s public notices.