By Nancy Covert
Long known as a “Place of Firsts,” Steilacoom offers residents and visitors a painless way to absorb its history while enjoying some relatively effortless exercise at the same time. How?
Stop by the Steilacoom Historic Museum on Rainier Street and ask for a copy of the Self-Guided Historic Walking Tour Guide. It’s Free!
This easy-to-follow map will take pedestrians on a historical quest around the Town’s 40-block historic district, established in 1975. (Distinctive metal signs, atop street signs mark the district’s boundaries). The district includes houses in Chapman’s Addition and Port Steilacoom City. The two sites were combined, at Union Avenue, in 1854 as the Town of Steilacoom; the first incorporated city in Washington Territory.
The district contains a mixture of sites such as the Nathaniel Orr Home on Rainier St., and the E. R. Rogers Mansion at the corner of Wilkes and Commercial streets, two churches, one still-in-operation Drug Store, and seven historic markers
To learn more about Steilacoom’s history visit the Steilacoom Historic Museum this summer. Hours of operation are from 1-5 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.
Phone 253-584-4133 or visit www.steilacoomhistorical.org.
A new gift shop is scheduled to open this summer on the Museum’s main floor.
A copy of Town on the Sound is an ideal way to learn more about local history.
The Museum Association sponsors an annual Salmon Bake on the last Sunday in July and the Apple Squeeze on the first Sunday in October.