JOINT BASE LEWIS-McCHORD, Wash. – Joint Base Lewis-McChord will honor the memory of those who have made the ultimate sacrifice in the defense of the United States with a Memorial Day ceremony Monday, May 30, at 11:30 a.m. at the base cemetery.
Lt. Gen. Curtis M. Scaparrotti, commanding general, I Corps will be the guest speaker. And will place a wreath on the post’s marker honoring the Soldiers, Airmen, Civilians, men, and women who have served and made the ultimate sacrifice in the defense of the United States of America. The I Corps Band will provide the music. Soldiers from 2nd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division will fire a 21-gun salute to honor fallen comrades, followed by the playing of Taps.
In addition, JBLM Soldiers will attend and support Memorial Day observances in the region with guest speakers, firing details, color guards, I Corps Command Honor Guard and the I Corps Band, including the following Memorial Day weekend events –
Sunday, May 29
• Fir Lane Cemetery Memorial Day Service, 1 p.m., Spanaway, Wash.
• Vaughn Cemetery Memorial Day Service, 1 p.m., Gig Harbor, Wash.
• Yelm Cemetery Memorial Day Service, 1 p.m., Yelm, Wash.
• Roy Cemetery Memorial Day Service, 2 p.m., Roy, Wash.
Monday, May 30
• Joint Base Lewis-McChord Memorial Day Observance, 11:30 a.m., JBLM, Wash.
• Dupont Memorial Day Ceremony at Ross Plaza, 9 a.m., DuPont, Wash
• Sumner Cemetery Memorial Day Service, 10 a.m., Sumner, Wash.
• Bethany Cemetery Memorial Day Ceremony, 10:30 a.m., Spanaway, Wash.
• Acacia Memorial Park Memorial Day Service, 11 a.m., Seattle
• Masonic Memorial Service at New Tacoma Cemetery, 11:30 a.m., University Place, Wash.
• Bread of Life Mission’s Memorial Day Ceremony, 12 p.m., Seattle
• Puyallup Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 2224 Memorial Day Observance, 1 p.m., Puyallup, Wash.
• Mountain View Cemetery Memorial Day Ceremony, 2 p.m., Lakewood, Wash.
• Washington Soldiers Home Memorial Day Service, 2 p.m., Orting, Wash.
Visitors who wish to attend the JBLM ceremony will be required to obtain a pass from the base’s Visitor Center at exit 120 on Interstate 5. Signs will direct attendees to the cemetery.
For more information about JBLM military participation in these events, contact the JBLM Public Affairs office at 253-967-0147 before noon on Friday, May 27. After 5 p.m. Friday, call at 253-967-0015 and ask for the PAO on call for further assistance. Media are invited to cover the Memorial Day ceremony at the JBLM cemetery on May 30- contact JBLM PAO to arrange for access to the installation and a public affairs escort.