People will meet authors who have written about a variety of fascinating topics during five free events at University Place Pierce County Library, 3609 Market Place W.
- Wednesday, April 20, 7 p.m. – Dave Boling – Internationally acclaimed author, columnist for The News Tribune, and local resident Dave Boling will lead a conversation and multimedia presentation. His award-winning first novel, “Guernica,” won the 2009 Pacific Northwest Booksellers Association award for fiction and is being published in 13 languages.
- Saturday, April 30, 3 p.m. – Raising Kids with Disabilities – The authors of “My Baby Rides the Short Bus: The Unabashedly Human Experience of Raising Kids with Disabilities” will present a panel discussion. Participating contributors include Yantra Bertelli, Kerry Cohen, Chloe Eudaly, Andrea S. Givens, Nina Packebush, Sarah Talbot and Alex Winninghoff.
- Monday, May 2, 7 p.m. – Kelly Coyne and Erik Knutzen – Kelly Coyne and Erik Knutzen will share how they get down to the root of things for a happier, healthier, more homemade life. They have written “Making It: Radical Home Ec for a Post-Consumer World” and “The Urban Homestead: Your Guide to Self-Sufficient Living in the Heart of the City.” Copies of the books will be available for purchase, courtesy of King’s Books.
- Saturday, May 7, 3 p.m. – Craig Welch – Nationally acclaimed environmental writer Craig Welch will talk about his book, “Shell Games: A True Story of Cops, Con Men, and the Smuggling of America’s Strangest Wildlife.” Copies of the book will be available for purchase, courtesy of King’s Books.
- Saturday, May 21, 3 p.m. – Claire Dederer – Local author Claire Dederer will discuss her new book, “Poser: My Life in Twenty-Three Yoga Poses.” Her writings as memoirist, essayist, reporter and critic have appeared in The Nation, Vogue, Slate, Salon, Real Simple, The New York Times and other newspapers across the country. Copies of the book will be available for purchase, courtesy of King’s Books.
Friends of the University Place Library sponsor these free events.