The first day of class for the Tillicum Community Center/ Lifelong Learning Program will be on Friday, April 1, 2011. The program is open to adults of the entire area, as well as Tillicum, who desire to actively participate in organized learning opportunities. There is no fee for the classes, but a donation to the Tillicum Community Center would be appreciated. The Lifelong Learning Program is located in the Tillicum Community Center, 14916 Washington Ave. (253-584-1280) in Tillicum .
Study groups are selected and organized by the members. A typical group meets on a one day per week basis (currently Friday afternoon) for about 4 to 6 weeks. Each group has a member as leader and often the expertise of others may be used. No tests, grades or credit are given. Group size is usually limited to encourage individual participation. Topics which are likely to be explored cover a broad range with the emphasis on “mind-stretching.” It is possible to take two classes, the first at 1:00 PM and the second at 2:35 PM.
Classes which will be offered beginning on Friday, April 1 are:
PERIOD 1 (1:00 PM TO 2:25 PM)
1. Home Repairs and Improvement. Class Leader is Jim Taylor, a retired building contractor. The class involves home repairs and improvements with advice from Taylor and class participants.
2. We The People. Class Leader is Edmond Dennery, a retired educator and initiator of the Program at Tillicum. The class features presentations by representatives from various Agencies and businesses.
3. Writing Your Life Story. Class Leader is Karen Lebeter, a writer and graphic media designer. The class involves Lebeter aiding the members in writing their own life stories.
PERIOD 2 (2:35 PM TO 4:00 PM)
4. ABC’s Of The Investment World. Class Leader is Bart Dalton, a Financial Advisor. The class covers various aspects of investments and how to choose stocks.
5. Being Safe At Home. Class Leader is Karen Lebeter. A First Aid and Safety Instructor. Karen will demonstrate the proper handling of medical emergencies and fire safety. She will also give information as to caring for the disabled and elderly.
6. Basics of Model Airplane Building. Class Leader is Jerry Dunlap, a fervent model plane and boat builder. Jerry will guide the class members as they make their own model airplanes. The class is open to adults and to boys and girls over 10 years of age.
Registration begins on Friday, March 25, at the Tillicum Community Center, from 9 AM to 4:00 PM. Registration will continue in person or by phone (253-584-1280) at the Tillicum Center Desk during the following week.
For further information call Program Chairman, Ed Dennery, at 253-507-7170.