By Hallie McCurdy, Lakewood Fire
University Place – At 1:18 am, January 31, the University Place and Lakewood Fire Department’s responded to a house fire at 4010 82nd Ave Ct W. Firefighters arrived to find flames coming from the rear of the home. They quickly entered the structure and extinguished the fire which was declared under control at 1:35 am. The occupants were alerted to the fire by their smoke alarm and everyone was able to safely evacuate the home. The fire started in the attic and appeared to be electrical in nature. Damages were estimated at $35,000 to the structure. Things could have been much worse had this family not had a working smoke alarm, so please test yours today.