By Michelle Johnson, Lieutenant, University Place Fire Department
University Place – At approximately 12:37 p.m. on January 4th the University Place and Lakewood Fire Departments responded to a call for a residential fire at 2302 Mountain View Drive West. The first arriving unit found a single story home with flames coming through the roof. Firefighters entered the home through the front door and discovered fire in the attic space above them. The sheet rock ceiling was pulled to expose the fire for extinguishment.
The homeowner reported hearing crackling in the home and discovered fire in the ceiling when she went to investigate. She then left the home to contact the fire department. She was not injured in the incident. The Red Cross is providing assistance for the occupant.
The Pierce County Fire Marshal’s Office determined the cause of the fire to be electrical with the point of origin in the attic. The estimated loss for contents and structure is $200,000.