By Make Oakbrook Walkable Leadership Team
Tired of having to drive way around people of all ages as they walk or bike? Afraid to take walks or ride your bike? Now is your time to get involved to make a change! A group of your neighbors have formed a “Make Oakbrook Walkable 2010!” coalition for safety of foot and bike transport and for body, mind and environmental health (etc.).
The City of Lakewood is engaged and excited about the prospect of a project to get the following improvements installed on Onyx/Zircon (West Oakbrook) from 87th Avenue to Amber Drive. The scope of work includes:
- Sidewalks on both sides for 2.6 miles
- New paved road
- Curbs / gutters
- Tie ins with impacted driveways
- Street lights every 75 feet on alternating sides
- Bike Line (not lane) for buffered bicycle passage
- 2 traffic calming circles
The benefits to all who own property / reside in the West Side of Oakbrook are:
- Stay safe – Reduce risk of getting hit by cars or by theft by having lights (esp children trying to get to school / pool / friends houses).
- Increase security – statistics demonstrate that areas with more lighting have reduced crime rates.
- Get healthy – Reduce medical bills, disease and stress. Read here about health benefits of walking.
- Increase beauty and property values – Property values go up with sidewalks and a walkable community. Oakbrook’s Walk Score is 20. 78% of Lakewood has a higher Walk Score than we do. With every increase in walk score point, statistics show that property values increase on average between $500-$3000.
–>Oakbrook Walk Score
–>Walking the Walk – How Walking Raises Home Values in U.S. Cities
- Reduce ecological footprint – By walking or riding bikes to stores, we burn less carbon fuel
- ADA friendly – By having sidewalks, people who cannot drive or walk (ie wheelchair drivers) may enjoy the same right to traverse to / from local stores without a car
There is a cost to the community property owners for this endeavor (please see FAQs). The City of Lakewood has already applied for a grant for a portion of the funding and other grants will be applied for to offset the cost to the property owners. This demonstrates their partnership with the community to get this effort off the ground.
We encourage input and participation. Feel free to leave your comments here. Meetings are being scheduled, so please sign up to receive alerts on the right hand side of the menu.
We look forward to hearing from you!