Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash. – A Joint Base Lewis-McChord investigating officer will convene an Article 32 hearing here at 9 a.m., Monday, November 8, to examine evidence regarding the charges preferred against Cpl. Emmitt R. Quintal, a 5th Stryker Brigade Soldier facing charges associated with an on-going investigation into incidents that occurred in Afghanistan during their deployment. The hearing is scheduled for one day. Charges against Cpl. Emmitt R. Quintal include:
– One specification of conspiracy to commit assault consummated by battery, UCMJ Article 81
– One specification of unlawfully striking another Soldier, UCMJ Article 128
– One specification of wrongfully using a schedule I controlled substance, UCMJ Article 112a
– One Specification of wrongfully endeavoring to impede an investigation, UCMJ Article 134
– One specification of violating a lawful general order, UCMJ Article 92
JBLM officials emphasize that the charges constitute an accusation and that the accused is presumed innocent until proven guilty.
Officially known as an Article 32 pretrial investigation, the hearing is similar to a grand jury investigation. For this Article 32 hearing, an investigating officer has been appointed to look into the charges. The investigating officer will review the evidence presented by defense and prosecution attorneys in order to make a recommendation regarding the sufficiency of the charges and the appropriate level of court-martial.
The Article 32 hearing will be open to the public, however space is limited.