The Tacoma School District is seeking input from the public regarding the reuse and/or disposition of the recently closed Gault Middle School. Background is provided below about the facility. District policy directs that we seek public input about the property’s future “highest and best use” and/or determining your interest in the property. Background:
Gault Middle School Site
1115 E. Division Lane
Gault Middle School (1925) was closed as part of its consolidation with McIlvaigh Middle School and the construction of the new First Creek Middle School. It was vacated following the 2008-09 school year.
* The Gault site is 7.3 acres and is bisected by L Street
* The vacant school building is 109,582 square feet in size.
* State funding assistance parameters preclude the reuse of the building for housing District educational programs.
* The site includes a pool (13,804 sq. ft.), which is operated by Metro Parks.
Note: The Puyallup Tribe of Indians has recently expressed an interest in purchasing Gault. Details are pending, but at this time the Tribe’s intended use of the facility would be a “Community Center.” The current activities involving the pool and the Metro Parks programs are not expected to be negatively impacted by the Tribe’s plans.
Suggestions for future use and/or disposition of the properties should be guided by the following:
* The proposed use should be compatible with the Gault neighborhood and community.
* The proposed use should not divert financial resources from the District’s education programs.
Two public meetings will provide an opportunity for your comments:
1) October 20th 6 p.m. at Blix Elementary School, 1302 E. 38th St. 2) October 28th 5 p.m., at School District’s office located 601 S.8th St., Tacoma, WA
2) Submit written comments by October 25th to: Pete Wall, The Tacoma School District, Planning and Construction Department, 3223 S. Union Avenue, Tacoma, WA 98409.