Pierce College District is reaching out to men and women with a series of relationship violence awareness events in October. The 2010-11 Relationship Violence Event Series is free and open to the public. Presentations are being held at both Pierce College Puyallup and Pierce College Fort Steilacoom in Lakewood.
Sin by Silence
Sin by Silence is a documentary film that tells the personal stories of women imprisoned for killing their abusive partners. Discussion with Brenda Clubine, a previously incarcerated survivor featured in the film, will follow.
• 11 a.m. Wednesday, Oct. 6, Multipurpose Room (MPR), College Center building, Pierce Puyallup.
• 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 6, Health Education Center, Pierce College Fort Steilacoom.
Voices of Men
Using humor and celebrity impressions, Ben Atherton-Zeman has gained national acclaim for this provocative, one-man performance that tackles sexual assault, dating and domestic violence, stalking, and objectification.
• Noon, Thursday, Oct. 14, Library Building, Room 244, Pierce College Puyallup.
• 5:30 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 14, Health Education Center, Room 302, Pierce College Fort Steilacoom.
Understanding Intimate Partner Violence: DV 101
This interactive presentation teaches how to recognize an unhealthy relationship, the cycle of abuse, and how to get help.
• 5:30 to 7 p.m., Tuesday, Oct. 26, Multipurpose Room (MPR), College Center building, Pierce College Puyallup.
The 2010-11 Relationship Violence Events Series is sponsored by the Pierce College offices of Student Life and Student Development. For more information, call (253) 840-8415 at Puyallup or (253) 964-6525 at Fort Steilacoom.