JOINT BASE LEWIS-MCCHORD, Wash. – More than 1,100 vehicles accessed Mounts Road gate today, a new gate for vehicles to enter Joint Base Lewis-McChord on weekday mornings.
* Gate is open from 5 a.m. to 8 a.m.
* Only for drivers with DoD identification and JBLM registration decals on their vehicles.
* Gate is for inbound traffic only.
* The gate is intended for drivers travelling northeast on Nisqually Road/Mounts Road.
* The new gate is not intended as an alternate access point for drivers already on I-5. Drivers already on I-5 should plan to use one of the existing JBLM gates along the interstate.
* Gate can only be accessed by a right-hand turn from Nisqually Road.
* Drivers SHOULD NOT use exit 116 to access the new gate. Left turns into the gate will not be permitted.
The Mounts Road gate has been opened to relieve some congestion on northbound I-5 and take pressure off the other JBLM gates along the interstate. It was made possible by a partnership between the joint base and the Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT). This
cooperative effort made possible an immediate step to help ease congestion motorists are currently experiencing on northbound I-5 leading to and through the Joint Base Lewis-McChord corridor.