By Paul Loveless, Steilacoom Town Administrator
Council Meeting: The next Council meeting is on October 5, 2010 at Town Hall.
Parks Task Force: The next Parks Task Force meeting is October 4, 2010 at 6:30 PM at Town Hall in the Map Room.
Planning Commission: The next Planning Commission meeting is October 11, 2010 at 6:30 PM at Town Hall.
Council Future Agenda “Look-Ahead” Issues: Copies of the Agenda and staff reports are available at all Town facilities once published.
1. Urban Forestry Management ordinance update (Fall-Winter).
2. Nuisance and Abatement procedures (Fall-Winter-Spring).
3. Grown “Fences” (Fall-Winter).
4. Shoreline Management (Fall-Winter-Spring)
1. Animal sheltering contract – Humane Society (Fall).
Chief Drozynski Recognition Events:
On October 5, 2010 from 5:30 PM to 6:30 PM at Town Hall or on October 15, 2010 from 3:00 PM to 5:00 PM at the Public Safety Building, please join with us in wishing Chief Drozynski well on his future endeavors.
Interim Public Safety Director Search:
The Mayor will announce his decision for filling the Public Safety Director’s position at the October 5, 2010 Council meeting.
Martin Street Culvert:
The contractor is almost complete with backfilling the excavation. This work along with other site restoration will probably continue for the next week.
The crew inspected and cleaned drainage ways paying particular attention to past problem areas. As part of this, they rebuilt a drainage way along Chambers Street near the School’s bus barn.
Planned Power Outage:
There was a planned power outage Thursday in the 1200 block of Union Avenue. This outage was necessary to determine the exact location of the wire failure which caused the previous unplanned power outage in this area.
Wayside Horn Issue:
The crew continues to work with RCL attempting to determine why the Union Avenue horn is malfunctioning.
The crew spent the week performing routine maintenance and assisting the Electric Department during the power outage.
Buildings and Grounds:
The Public Safety Bay was painted this week and the finishing touches to the repair work at Sunnyside Park and the Administration Building were accomplished this week. Also, this was the final week for the majority of the temporary hires.
Next week, the intent is to starting winterizing the sprinkler systems and water fountains and recover from the Apple Squeeze.
Steilacoom Marina Clean-up:
The following information was provided by the contractor on the status of the Steilacoom Marina clean-up.
Present status of the Phase 1 cleanup work at the Steilacoom Marina:
Tacoma Pierce County Health Department:
Sharon Bell provided her report and recommendation to Department of Ecology that the site be placed on their ‘Confirmed and Suspected Contaminated Sites’ list. The report indicates that the extent and nature of any contaminants warrants further investigation. Prior reports suggest that further investigation needs to occur after the removal of the surface debris as outlined in our Phase 1 scope of work.
While the TPCHD report indicates that the ‘complaint’ investigated is ‘Release of hazardous materials stored in building as a result of a fire’ and that ‘further delineation of the extent and nature of any site contamination is warranted’, the report concludes by stating the ‘source of contamination is unknown but may be due to a release of materials stored in containers as a (result) of a fire at the site.’ (See further discussion under Department of Ecology status.)
Puget Sound Clean Air Agency:
The contractor contacted PSCA, as requested by Sharon Bell, with regard to the small piece (approximately 300 sq. ft) of sheet vinyl with associated felt backing identified as ‘non-friable asbestos containing material’. Per report by NOW environmental, all other samples of materials that were tested for asbestos were found to contain none. The contractor will arrange with a WA L&I certified asbestos abatement contractor to remove that as required during the course of their Phase 1 work.
Status of WA Agency Requirements:
Department of Ecology:
When the contractor last talked with Scott Rose, he stated that he had received the report from Tacoma Pierce County Health Department but had not yet reviewed it. He further stated that he was extremely busy with the extra workload due to Chris Matthew’s absence and that it may be 90 days before he would have an opinion. He stated that he believed we could commence surface and loose fire debris cleanup (as outlined in our Phase 1 work) but the contractor would like to receive clearance on that from him in writing.
Scott also suggested that Mrs. Wang may want to consider entering the Voluntary Cleanup Program which we have investigated on her behalf. The information on Ecology’s website about the program, coupled with the uncertainty as to the actual extent and nature of contaminants has led to our decision to wait until the surface debris is removed, and to allow Ecology to finalize its review and make its determination as to what will or will not be required. Our reading of the various reports, which provide no contaminant background level information for the areas abutting Mrs. Wang’s property, do not support a decision for Mrs. Wang to enter the Voluntary Cleanup Program at this time. Mrs. Wang may decide to exercise that option at a later date.
However, this should not delay us in proceeding with the Phase 1 work if we can obtain Scott’s written approval to proceed with that at this time.
Department of Fisheries and Wildlife:
Theresa Mitchell’s letter of August 20, 2010, confirms her receipt of the JARPA and the SEPA determination by the Town of Steilacoom. In her letter, she outlines specific guidelines which we are required to follow, including potential issues with Saltwater Habitats of Special Concern, specifically eelgrass beds, which are known to exist in the area, and potentially forage fish spawning habitat. While her letter states that no spawning has been documented, special work activities are outlined to prevent any disturbance of the area. She further stated that WDFW may allow work to occur and equipment to operate during the known spawning period (October 1 through April 30), if sampling of the beach indicates an absence of spawning activity. (See further discussion under Department of Natural Resources regarding results of dive survey.)
Department of Natural Resources:
Wynnae Wright emailed us on September 9, 2010, confirming her receipt of the JARPA and providing additional requirements to commence with the Phase 1 cleanup, including before and after dive surveys of the area to ensure all debris is documented and cleaned up as required. The remaining requirements will be complied with during the course of the Phase 1 work.
Last Saturday, our dive sub-contractor conducted the pre-cleanup dive survey and I am expecting the full report including grid, video and discussion of the area by the end of next week. The preliminary verbal report is that there are several wooden boats and one fibreglass boat that appear to have developed extensive visible habitat over time. We will provide the full report and video to DNR and WDFW to engage their consideration on how to proceed with this issue considering the level of habitat visible in the area and concerns over disturbing or potentially disturbing any habitat. Once we come to a meeting of the minds on this issue, we can complete the Right of Entry permit application, which is the final paperwork that needs to be completed at this time in order for us to commence the actual Phase 1 cleanup.
Mrs. Wang and our company are ready to proceed upon:
1. Receipt of written confirmation from Scott Rose with regard to proceeding with the Phase 1 work.
2. Discussion and resolution with DNR and WDFW as to what they will require regarding disposition of the boats containing habitat and whether they will be left in place or removed.
3. Receipt of ROE permit upon completion and submission of DNR’s application therefor.