Nancy Covert, Steilacoom resident, historian, author and one-time editor – reporter for Steilacoom’s “Around Town”, will speak about local Newspaper History, beginning in the 1850s during a Lakewood Historical Society program Tuesday, Feb. 16 at the Lakewood Library. Her presentation will focus on a few prominent papers such as the Puget Sound Herald, the Lakewood Log and the Suburban Times The free program starts at 7 pm and is open to the public.
There have been a wealth of newspapers in the area with the earliest being the Puget Sound Courier, started in 1855. It was followed by the Washington Republican, Truth Teller, the Puget Sound Herald (1858-1862), Western Star, The Express and finally, in the 1930s, The Lakewood Log and the Suburban Times in the 70s. There was also a student paper – the School Boy in 1898.
Covert has done extensive research on the newspapers and their publishers and has collected copies of the front pages of several, several of which will be on display at the program.
Newspapers have played an important role in the history of the area, particularly Steilacoom, according to Covert. She explains that newspapers published by Charles Prosch in the early 1800s were critical supporting material in a claim by Henry Balch to property in Steilacoom. Without the Prosch testimony and newspapers things might be different today, the story points out.
The Lakewood Historical Museum contains a recreation of an early-day newspaper office and in its collection includes hard copies of The Lakewood Log and microfilm of The Log and The Suburban Times.