Expect major disruptions in Pierce County bus service on Tuesday, December 8, during the procession and memorial service for slain Lakewood Police Sgt. Mark Renninger, and Officers Ronald Owens, Tina Griswold, and Greg Richards. Sgt. Mark Renninger and Officer Ronald Owens worked closely with the Pierce Transit Office of Public Safety -Transit Police Division as members of the off-duty program.
On Tuesday, between approximately 10 a.m. and approximately 1 p.m., the memorial procession will travel along South Tacoma Way between the City of Lakewood and the Tacoma Dome and will significantly impact all traffic and travel – including Pierce Transit bus service on many bus routes.
Pierce Transit is rerouting buses around the procession. If your Tuesday travel plans take you near the procession area, give yourself plenty of time, travel before 10 a.m. or after 1 p.m., or be prepared for significant delays. Significant delays, route detours, and missed connections may occur on other routes as well, especially in the Tacoma Dome area.
Pierce Transit will not be able to tell you when specific buses will arrive at or depart from specific locations.
The following bus routes will be on detour beginning at 10:00 a.m. until approximately 1:00 p.m., unless otherwise noted. Delays will occur on these routes:
- Route 1 No service on Pacific Ave. between S. 21st St and S. 38th St.
- Route 3 No service on Center St. and Pine St. between Wilkeson and S. 38th St. and no service on the regular route between 74th/Oakes and the Lakewood Transit Center.
- Route 42 No service between East “D” St. and McKinley Ave. north of 34th St.
- Route 48 Service will terminate at 96th and So. Tacoma Way. Passengers wishing to continue to Lakewood should transfer at S. 96th and Steele to the 55 Route to Parkland, then the 204 Route to Lakewood. Northbound ridersdo the reverse.
- Route 52 No service between Union Ave. at S. 35 and Pine St. at S. 36th.
- Route 53, 53A No service on Pacific Ave. between S. 21st. and S. 38th St. and no service between Tacoma Mall Transit Center and S. 56th at Tyler St.
- Route 57 No service between Union Ave. and Pine St. at 35th.
- Route 202 No service between S. 74nd St./ Tacoma Mall Blvd. and Lakewood. 202 will serve Lakewood Transit Center but no other stops west of I-5.
- Route 204 9:00 AM until approximately 1:00 PM, no service between 112th and Steele St. to 108th and Bridgeport. 204 will serve Lakewood Sounder Station and Lakewood Transit Center.
- Route 300 No service between Tacoma Mall Transit Center and McChord AFB, but route will terminate at Lakewood Sounder Station and connect with other routes. No service to SR 512 Park & Ride or McChord AFB from 9:00 AM until approximately 1:00 PM.
- Routes 574 and 594 (Sound Transit) Will not serve SR 512 Park & Ride from 9:00 AM until approximately 1:00 PM, but will serve the Lakewood Sounder Station where they will connect with other routes. 574 will continue to serve Lakewood Transit Center.
- Route 603 (Intercity Transit) Will not serve SR 512 Park & Ride from 9:00 AM until approximately 1:00 PM, but will serve the Lakewood Sounder Station where it will connect with other routes.
Pierce Transit will operate limited bus service to the Tacoma Dome from two alternative parking locations. The service will be free to the public. Bus service will begin at 10:30 a.m. The last bus will leave from each location at 12 noon. Buses will make return trips immediately following the conclusion of the memorial service. The public is encouraged to utilize these off-site parking lots.
The two off-site parking areas are:
- Cheney Stadium, 2502 South Tyler Street, Tacoma
- Tacoma Mall – North Parking Lot (across the parking lot from Macy’s, near the Goodyear Tire store) (Note: not near the Firestone Tire store as previously mentioned)
For additional information visit the Pierce Transit web site at www.piercetransit.org or call Pierce Transit Customer Services at 253. 581.8000.Print This Post