Lakewood Historical Society will hold its annual holiday open house Saturday, Dec. 12 from 2-4 pm. Open to the public as well as all members of the society, it will take place in the Lakewood History Museum at 6211 Mt. Tacoma Drive SW in the Lakewood Colonial Center.
According to Lakewood Historical Society President Becky Huber, refreshments will be served at the open house and all exhibits will be open for viewing. There is no charge. Attendees are encouraged to bring non-perishable food items to be donated to a local food bank.
A collection of artifacts collected by Glen Speith from the old Byrd School site at Steilacoom Boulevard and Lakeview Avenue has been prepared. Speith scoured the site where a huge apartment complex is now under construction to find and save as many pieces from the old school building as possible, The collection includes numerous metal pieces he was able to find.
Renderings of the planned permanent museum in the Mueller-Harkins Hangar at Clover Park Technical College on Steilacoom Boulevard will be displayed and additional information on the long range project will be available.
Also available for viewing will be copies of the Lakewood Log and The Suburban Times starting with the first newspaper published by Charley Mann in 1938. The newspapers have been reproduced on microfilm. The film and a reader are on loan to the museum.
The museum is regularly open Wednesday through Saturday from noon to 4 pm. In addition, a monthly program on some aspect of local history takes place in the meeting room at the Lakewood Public Library.Print This Post